Zsolt's Reviews > Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health

Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard

May 20, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading

Thus far it makes sense. This is not an easy read considering the plethora of new words that my ESL studies did not cover in the past. Fortunately I found an awesome reference in the Basic Study Manual that helps me speed up my study progress. This book was way ahead its time and half century later the majority of the people still ridicule it like people ridiculed Galileo Galilei who stated the Earth is not flat.
The more negative opinion I see about this book the more it reinforces its value to me.
Have you see the Time Magazine top 100 most influential people list lately? Well, take a look at it and there you go, a real good snapshot of the global consciousness as to what popularity is about.
If you are an intelligent reader and do have an educated counterpoint of view, please share it. Thus far I did not meet, nor hear any valid counter argument against any one of the 194 axioms of this book nor any other statement in this or other LRH books. If on the other hand you are also a serious student of Dianetics and looking for a Twin Study Buddy, let me know. I am still searching.
Z
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dianetics.

Geri  Newman Yes it is not an easy read but well worth it. I learned so much about myself from this book.

James Agreed. I'm rereading it myself. have you finished?

Zsolt Not yet. Life events changed my focus. I finished 2 of the three books in it and tarted one chapter in 3rd book. How about you? More importantly, have you find a way to apply the knowledge you got of out of it thus far? If so what and how?

message 4: by James (last edited Mar 23, 2012 04:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

James Zsolt wrote: "Not yet. Life events changed my focus. I finished 2 of the three books in it and tarted one chapter in 3rd book. How about you? More importantly, have you find a way to apply the knowledge you got ..."

Yep. I did a Dianetics workshop and with some supervision ran the processes on another several times. I received as well. I did notice a change in attitude from handling some of these painful incidents on another.

Churches of Scientology and the smaller "mission" centers run these weekend workshops all the time. See www.dianetics.org and they even have a place where you can search out a "study buddy" as well. :)

Some consider the subject controversial but those same are closed-minded and not willing to learn new things.

It's not for everybody but those who have read the book get the most from the auditing. And it's not just the procedure but the text includes "auditors code" and "the dynamics" which helped me in attitude towards others and organizing my life.

Zsolt James wrote: "Zsolt wrote: "Not yet. Life events changed my focus. I finished 2 of the three books in it and tarted one chapter in 3rd book. How about you? More importantly, have you find a way to apply the know..."

Have you checked out the DeBone Society?

Have you checked out the DeBone Society?

James no interest.

Zsolt Michael wrote: "Read anything by M. Scott Peck, Edward de Bono, Tony Buzan. Heck read Louise Hay and Norman Vincent Peale if you must. They know more about people and human wellbeing than anyone in the Scientology..."

Thank you for your concern Michael (if indeed it was your intention to protect me.) I have been around for a while and did my research. Growing up behind the iron curtain I have developed a good sense for a rat so to speak and I can sense misinformation pretty well. My hY (that is Yellow Hat) response to you is that: I can take the values and integrate them while I avoid the politics. Your opinion to me sounds like an educated person who bought into the main stream social political propaganda fairytales. If you like, bring up your point of view for a balanced discussion at the deBono society and let’s get t it there. You’ll find me there. Till then
Z

James Zsolt wrote: "Michael wrote: "Read anything by M. Scott Peck, Edward de Bono, Tony Buzan. Heck read Louise Hay and Norman Vincent Peale if you must. They know more about people and human wellbeing than anyone in..."

Mike has been trolling the majority of the reviews on this book; check his profile. Clearly has an agenda and no interest in a real discussion.

If you call the toll free number or check the Dianetics website, you can find a person to co-audit with. There are other bookbuyers out there with the same interest and willingness to "twin up" and use the book, just as people did in the 1950s! Good luck.

message 10: by Zsolt (last edited May 29, 2012 03:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zsolt I read extensively the side criticizing LRH. To date I yet to find a SINGLE argument about LRH teaching that is substantiated to prove anything wrong about his work. Character assassins are plenty, for a wide variety of reasons, but even the fellow who runs a college course on discrediting LRH’s work is all about character attacks. Just how desperate the few and powerful to keep such tech out of the reach of the mass.
I only responded to this fellow since he mentions advanced thinking tools that I actually welcome. So bring it on and lets have a balance discussion but spreading opinion is just that an opinion so what?
Thanks for the tip about finding auditing partners. Perhaps I should do that soon.

James Sounds good, Mr. Z. Good luck to you.

James Michael has changed his profile to private and we cannot comment on him. Darn it. :)

Kaden Brown Agree with every word Zsolt. A fantastic read and changed my life - just having things explained was like a lightbulb going off in my head.

message 14: by Zsolt (last edited Sep 09, 2012 05:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zsolt Throughout history we have so many people who tapped into the stream higher consciousness and “channeled” important information that was human kind’s next step in our evolution but these people are often were ridiculed, burned or simply ignored. Just like seeds, 99+% of them go “wasted” but a few will germinate and some of those will grow, hence the species genetic code survives. Along the same line, 99+% will not make direct use of higher intelligence topics but a few will and those of us who can see through the obstacles put up to prevent advanced knowledge to propagate, we are just turned on even more to internalize the new knowledge.
A simple question for those who are on the fence trying to decide about this book or the author’s credibility: If Dianetics is no good, if the Author is a crackpot then WHY all these huge amount of negative propaganda and well financed river of misinformation about them? Think!

message 15: by Luis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luis Colon One of the books that has had the greatest influence in my life. I don't recommend it to people though because it is a massive book and requires more work than most people are willing to expend. Simpler introductions are available, but I must say nothing as exciting as this particular book.

James Luis wrote: "One of the books that has had the greatest influence in my life. I don't recommend it to people though because it is a massive book and requires more work than most people are willing to expend. Si..."

Odd comment. Great book but don't recommend it?

I've read this book three times. It's not hard. What is hard is how people leave negative comments but have never read it nor tried it.

Another choice is the audio book and/or the video.

Zsolt Luis has his own unique style, this time using reversed psychology. His truth refers to the majority who will go with the main stream: there are enough misinformation to at least cast doubts in the heart and mind of most people about Scientology. I concur with Luis: don't read Dianetics unless you are prepared for a trip of a lifetime.

James Zsolt wrote: "Luis has his own unique style, this time using reversed psychology. His truth refers to the majority who will go with the main stream: there are enough misinformation to at least cast doubts in the..."

Kaden Brown James wrote: "Interesting. I have found that most people are favorable towards the subject once they understand it without media bias."

Huh, sadly though we see so many individuals who clearly have not read DMSMH make comment upon the book, or who speak negatively of it, the author, and/or Scientology.

Sure, picking-up DMSMH is a bit daunting at first... the sheer size is massive; the detail inside is staggering;and the subject matter may be a bit personal.

The casual reader could easily become so paranoid with regard to their own problems (and admitting such things takes a leap of faith that Dianetics really can help, doesn't it?), that the easiest and most re-affirming thing to do is to keep-up the personal lie and self-deception, and dismiss LRH, Dianetics and CoS.

We know that the real failure to understand comes from MU's and engrams. More reason for any reader to take the time in getting to understand DMSMH. Buddy system, Extension Course, group discussion etc.

This book should be compulsory reading for all children. Think of the peaceful and happy (and successful) world they would create.

message 20: by Luis (last edited Mar 14, 2013 03:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luis Colon Kaden wrote: "James wrote: "Interesting. I have found that most people are favorable towards the subject once they understand it without media bias."

Huh, sadly though we see so many individuals who clearly hav..."

Huh, sadly though we see so many individuals who clearly hav..."

To clarify my post, Kaden did an excellent job of it.

DMSH was the first book by L. Ron Hubbard I read. I've read it 2x since, and have the latest edition from the CoS (a much better edition) on my bookshelf - along with a pretty full set of Ron's other books. DMSH, [new edition] will probably be the next of Ron's books I to re-read. I might recommend the newest edition to beginners, but probably not.

Depending on the individual, I might recommend "The Problems of Work." or other shorter works such as "Self Analysis". Ruth Minshall's "How To Choose Your People" is in many ways a more useful and practical book to recommend to someone new to Dianetics and Scientology, and to Ron's body of work.

Background upon which I base my opinion? I've been a Scientologist since 1975. I've worked on staff,am certified SuperLit, Dianetic Auditor, Word Clearer, worked in Qual supervising study room, am a Minister, have read a goodly portion of Ron's work [including PABs, HCOPL, and many more etcetra.

In short, hardly what one would call anti-Scientology, uninformed, or confused. I still don't recommend DMSH as a beginner's book, even though it was my first book and I loved it.

Dianetics and Scientology are practical studies. The point is use. A short pamphlet on the ARC/KRC triangles, the key elements of the study course, or Touch Assists will do more to demonstrate the utility and workability of Dianetics and Scientology than the original DMSMH.

Consider the key word is 'gradients'.

Kaden Brown Yes Luis, I think you are right on what you say. For me the very first book I read about Dianetics was Fundamentals of Thought. It is a far cry from DMSMH and gives the reader a brilliant and concise overview of what Scientology (and Dianetics too) is about.

When I read it first time I skim read - and to be honest I missed so much information that I was left a bit scratching my head trying to figure it out. I spoke to a guy called Kevin and he got me onto the Extension Course. That really made me read what I was reading (so-to-speak) and I found that what I had glossed-over and not understood the first time was now taking root in my head. It was like with each assignment a little light bulb went off inside my head. I think that was my understanding of what LRH was saying. When I finally finished FoT I knew what I believed and what made me tick.

But I wanted to know more so then set about getting all the basics and do the courses. Fantastic! I'm still going and with every new book, cd, video, and course, find out that bit more about myself and people around me.

FoT and DMSMH (and SoS and others) have totally changed my life!

message 22: by Luis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luis Colon Excellent!
One time through the books is just not enough for me. Understanding spirals. I'm so glad that I bought the new editions. I've read all of the basic books over the years, but the new editions really cleaned up many of the publisher's and editor's alterations of the text. I'm looking forward to the re-reads.
"Fundamentals of Thought" pierces through the 'haze' of life. I cannot overstate the clarity understanding these fundamentals has brought into my life. Nothing was the same for me after reading this book.

James The original edition was really not that messed up since Hubbard typed it all out himself. Great new glossary and new sections in the back on how to get Dianetics therapy. Good review.