Stephanie's Reviews > Midnight

Midnight by L.J. Smith

May 20, 2011

it was ok
Read in May, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I was pretty disappointed with this book, I really wanted to like it especially since I liked Shadow Souls so much. However I think this book dragged on in too many places and did not spend enough time in others. How long can they drag out the Elena/Stefan/Damon triangle? I got tired of the pages and pages of Elena obsessing about Damon and more pages and pages of Elena and Stefan and how they are so perfect together. I wanted to hear more about Meredith's family and the whole court room scene was so rushed and weird that I just kept skipping pages.

There are so many things I did not like about his book, it's hard to know where to start. There's all this build-up in how Damon is starting to care about Bonnie starting from the Nightfall book and then once Elena comes in he forgets Bonnie and his character never progesses. Also when Damon dies for Bonnie, that whole part is so rushed I had to re-read the sentences just to figure out how exactly he died for her. And then the whole focus is on Elena saying goodbye to Damon. I think it should have been more focused on Damon and Stefan and them reconciling. I am hopeful that he comes back in the next series but not so obsessive about Elena.

If I had my way I think Damon should fall for Bonnie and start treating Elena like a sister-in-law. Also, maybe Meredith and Alaric can be in the same city for once and Matt can find a nice girl at college. Caroline was such a visceral character she's only mentioned in one scene and never explained again, did she have her babies? What happened now that she has broken the blood oath?

Finally, after all the build-up to the climactic showdown, it is shown 3/4 into the book and futher explained several chapters later from the other dimensions viewpoint. It would have been nice to see the story develop concurrently and not one then the other. Then after the ending's ending, the last scene between Stefan and Elena is unfulfilling and the other characters are just explained away in a few sentences. If they were important enough to cover full chapters in the book then they should at least have a few pages to tie up their own ends. Did Alaric ever come back? Is Meredith still bent on killing her brother and full of self doubt? What happened to Mrs. Flower's house? Does Bonnie still have her psychic abilities? I think the next book should start with Bonnie being trained as a witch under Mrs. Flowers.

I wanted to like this book but it was so overdone in the Elena area that I felt myself becoming very annoyed with her character. The synopsis of this series says it is more from Damon's point of view but it felt like more of the same to me.

I really hope the next series doesn't dwell so much on Stefan and Elena and focuses more on Matt, Meredith, Bonnie, Damon and Mrs. Flowers. I also hope Damon gets restored to his normal character and falls for Bonnie rather than to stay the same morose, obsessive vampire he became in the last half of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight.