Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Moses Goes to a Concert

Moses Goes to a Concert by Isaac Millman

May 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: groups-buddies, childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended for: independent readers who would like to learn ASL and/or know people who speak it
Read on May 28, 2011

Despite what I put in the “recommended to” field, I think this is a fine book for many children, including for showing all children it’s important to not put limitations on their goals just because of any limitations they might have.

I read this book because it’s one of the June books for the Picture Books Club at the Children's Books group, the June theme being persons who have physical disabilities.

In this book, the main character, Moses, and his schoolmates, are deaf, as is someone they meet on their field trip to a concert. Moses has been given drums of his own and cannot hear the sounds but can feel them and he enjoys playing them.

So, I’m glad the kids met who they did at the concert, (view spoiler), because honestly up until that point I did think for a field trip an art museum and so many other better places exist for deaf children than a concert (Please don’t yell at me; I know they can feel the music, and can get other benefits from such an experience. I truly know.)

I loved how ASL (and it is American Sign Language; it’s not made clear people not in the United States speak using different sign languages) is used along with text words to tell the story, and in such a way that readers who learn languages easier than I do might actually be able to learn from what is shown, especially since the ASL alphabet is given in the back of the book.

I used to know a bit of ASL. I was in a school program a quarter century ago and one of my classmates was fluent, and she taught several of us, and I learned it, not fluently but well enough to communicate with others in a very basic way. However, after the 12-month program I had very few opportunities to use the language so I’ve forgotten virtually all of it, though I remember my name, a few words, and some of the alphabet. Much in this book looked familiar though, and some were words I never knew. I have a difficult time learning foreign languages and this book wouldn’t be that useful for me but I think for some it would work. And the story is enjoyable. The illustrations fit the story well and it works well as a picture book.

3 ½ stars

(This is the first time I’ve used the partial, or any, spoiler alert in a review.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moses Goes to a Concert.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-7 of 7) </span> <span class="smallText">(7 new)</span>

message 1: by Petra X (new)

Petra X Your review has made me remember when I shared a room in college in Jerusalem with a stone-deaf girl who loved to dance. She would switch off her hearing aids as she said they confused the issue, and just feel the beat.

Lisa Vegan Petra, That's cool! I've definitely heard other such stories.

Oy! I'm going to have to edit because the text within the spoiler alert is a mess, though at least the meaning is clear.

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam [whispers] Lisa, in your spoiler you use dead where I'm sure you meant deaf.

Lisa Vegan Miriam wrote: "[whispers] Lisa, in your spoiler you use dead where I'm sure you meant deaf." Okay, I am laughing out loud and I am off to correct. Oh dear. Or is is dear deaf dead or some other 4 letter D word. Ha!

Laughing even harder now when I'm seeing the context. Thank you, Miriam!!!

message 6: by Petra X (new)

Petra X I read it as 'dead', didn't realise it was a typo and thought this was an interesting, magical element of the story you hadn't wanted to reveal and so put it as a spoiler. Silly me!

Lisa Vegan Petra X wrote: "I read it as 'dead', didn't realise it was a typo and thought this was an interesting, magical element of the story you hadn't wanted to reveal and so put it as a spoiler. Silly me!"

I never thought I could be so amused by one of my own reviews. Ha! I'm not good at deliberately writing funny reviews, but my typos can do it for me. Ha!