Maggie Maxfield's Reviews > The Illustrated Man

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

F 50x66
May 20, 11

Read in May, 2009

I couldn't get enough of these short stories. Some of them, even almost two years later, I cannot leave behind. Bradbury's imagination captivates me--I almost believe him more readily than I believe modern-day science. Okay, not really. But to me, his world is a lot more exciting. As I read the story entitled "Rocket Man," it sounded alarmingly familiar. This is with good reason: Elton John used this story as inspiration for his similarly-titled song, "Rocket Man." I especially love his pieces about life on planets within our solar system. My favorite is the story about the group of men who try to navigate the deadly electrical storms and floral aggression of Venus to find habitable man-made oases called sun domes, which may or may not exist. The best part about all these stories is that the narrator insists he's getting them from living, moving tattoos found on a traveler's skin. Isn't that just enough to make YOUR skin crawl?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Illustrated Man.