Teel's Reviews > Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America

Julian Comstock by Robert Charles Wilson

Jun 10, 11

bookshelves: dystopia, borrowed
Read from May 20 to June 10, 2011

2.5 stars. Dull, dry, and dreadful when not being exceedingly witty (to the point I cringed that the author had put such words in otherwise believable characters' mouths) or slapping the reader about the head with philosophies and present-day-political references. Interestingly, the philosophies (along with the running commentary on the nature of writing salable fiction) were the most interesting and engaging aspects of the book for me; it is too bad they were so small a part, and forced in here and there like decorations rather than being foundational and functional to the characters' stories, lives, and choices.

A very slow read, and longer than it pretends, with nearly double the normal word-count per page.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julian Comstock.

05/20/2011 page 16
4.0% "I'm 2 pages into the text and already the writing style is bugging me. Perhaps after a while I'll get used to it... I hope."
06/08/2011 page 95
23.0% "So far, this is a slow read I'm only all-too-happy to interrupt with other things:"
06/10/2011 page 352
85.0% "The writing is generally less dry & cumbersome since leaving the war behind, though the dialogue is tending more toward the sort of writerly-cleverness which I so loathed in the last Heinlein I read. It isn't amusing, it's distasteful."
show 1 hidden update…