Jinky's Reviews > Worst Case [With Earbuds]

May 21, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, playaway-audio
Read in May, 2011

(3.5)
I will have to review this book as a stand alone since I have not read the first two in the series. In my defense, there was nothing in the case of this audio indicating that this was an installment (the only reason I found out was when I plugged it in at Goodreads as read). But now I finally figured out that Mr. Patterson is notorious for series so I'll have to keep that in mind when I come across his books. Though, that probably won't stop me from reading his books out of order. :)

This Michael Bennett character was alright. He's a family man ... super dad of ten children and a cat! Apparently, he and his late wife had adopted. Now as a single parent, he manages with the help of his grandfather and nanny. Also, he seems to be a decent detective. No outrageous quirky traits ...maybe Mr. Patterson could develop something in the next installments to shake things up.

This particular installment dealt with the case of Francis Mooney, a terminal homicidal loon, targeting the rich. His craze to ensure social equality was noble, but of course his tactics was insanely criminal! He figures he would abduct children of the elite rich and give them a test ... where failing meant death. So the cat and mouse began with Bennett heading the investigation along with the abduction profile specialist, FBI agent Emily Parker. Together they hunt down Mooney before the death toll piles up.

This was entertaining like that of an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, though Vincent D'Onofrio's character was far more intriguing than Michael Bennett (maybe this is what I mean about shaking up Bennett's character ... give him a trait of edginess/peculiarity). So, if you like Law & Order kind of stories, this might be for you.

By the way, looks like things are beginning to heat up between Bennett and his nanny, Mary Catherine. Yet, Emily Parker wasn't completely out of the picture either. I'm glad this book didn't get heavy on the romance. Call me weird, but I don't seem to like weighty romance in thriller books.

**Find this review and more at Jinky is Reading

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worst Case [With Earbuds].

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Kyle I have read many of patterson's works out of order and it shouldnt cause you to miss anything! I just finshed the first Bennett novel Step On A Crack.

Jinky Thanks Dale & KD for the likes. --Thanks Lee for stoppin' by. How'd you like Step On A Crack? I might put it on my tbr list. :)

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars