Kirsten's Reviews > There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby

There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya

Jun 30, 11

bookshelves: fiction, folklore-and-fairytales, short-stories, horror-and-horror-ish, spec-fic
Read from May 28 to June 24, 2011

This is a great collection of creepy fairy-tale-esque stories from Ludmilla Petrushevskaya. The stories are often surreal, and Petrushevskaya's matter-of-fact style sometimes makes them less horrifying, but most of the time it compounds the matter. Sometimes the stories reminded me a bit of Kelly Link, but without the whimsy that I tend to associate with her, sort of like if you sucked all the warmth and humor out of a Kelly Link story... I realize that this does not make it sound like I recommend the book, but I absolutely do. And it's not as though there aren't happy endings here, it's just that there is often horror on the way.
Anyway, in short, loved this. It will be lodged in my head for years, I think.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby.