Pam's Reviews > The Marriage Plot

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: nook-read, own, award-winners
Read from March 31 to April 15, 2012

B*tches in Bookstores inspired me to finally pick this up. Thanks Jill and Kelly!

I think that Eugenides has trouble with satisfying endings. I felt the same way with Middlesex as I did with The Marriage Plot.

I liked this book, I like the way it was told through the 3 different characters, but at the same time, I felt like the method of storytelling didn't lend itself well to building depth in these characters. Yes, we got to know about them, but I never truly felt like I understood what each of them was doing or their true rationale behind their actions. Believe it or not, I didn't feel like the book was long enough; maybe he could have used his language more efficiently but I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked this book. It's just no Middlesex or The Virgin Suicides.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Plot.

04/01/2012 page 34
04/03/2012 page 58
14.0% 3 comments
04/09/2012 page 184
45.0% "Oh Eugenides, how I've missed you!"
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cori I'm reading it too and I love it so far!
Let's chat about it sometime!

message 2: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam I love him. I hope this doesn't disappoint.

Kelly I'm starting it, too!

message 4: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney I'd love to hear what you think at the end. I have several friends who have read it and hated it, so I am waiting for a good review from someone I know before I venture in. I generally love him as well.

message 5: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam Courtney I think you should read it now so cori and you and I can FINALLY start our book club :)

message 6: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney Haha, I can't buy it right now with our impending spring break trip coming up, and I'm already in the midst of two different books. Besides, I am not looking forward to this until I hear a positive review- I have not heard one yet from a friend.

message 7: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney But I do want to do the book club, for real!

message 8: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam Well then what are we going read??

Cori I just finished. I did love it, but it is not Middlesex, so don't expect it to be quite as good. This could be book club #1 if you read it, Courtney!

message 10: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney ok, Pam- downloading this tonight and will start it after I finish one of the 4 books I am currently reading ;) I hope I don't live to regret it!!!!

message 11: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars