Liz's Reviews > Cut

Cut by Patricia McCormick

May 20, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 3-star, contemporary-and-realistic, for-review, own, young-adult, poetry-and-novels-in-verse
Read from July 27 to 28, 2011

I remember seeing Cut in the library as a young teen and thinking that it might be a bit too dark for me. Lately I’ve become more open to reading darker contemporary stories, so when a review offer for Cut showed up in my inbox, I figured it was time to finally give it a try. Although the length may not make it look like much, I found Cut to be a moving and relatable story.

When we meet Callie, she is in Sea Pines (or Sick Minds) because she cuts herself. I thought the plot progression in this story worked really well. McCormick gives the reader closure, but doesn’t tie up the story so neatly that it’s unbelievable.

Callie’s narrative voice has just a hint of snark, but I also loved how sympathetic she was. As I turned the pages, I found myself thinking of times when I had felt emotions similar to Callie’s. However, I think McCormick makes Callie realistic without sensationalizing or diminishing her tough subject matter. I love that this book is in part about learning to cope with negative emotions, because that is a major part of growing up.

I admit that I was a little unsure of Cut going in because I wasn’t sure if I’d feel any connection with the character. McCormick expertly blends universal themes into an honest story and a likable main character. I’d definitely recommend this one to those looking for a tough but ultimately uplifting contemporary read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cut.

07/27/2011 page 160