Kathryn's Reviews > The Guise of a Gentleman

The Guise of a Gentleman by Donna Hatch

F 50x66
Jan 12, 13

Read in October, 2011

** spoiler alert ** If you search for clean romance, search no further. I was a little hesitant at first because this isn't a LDS author, but the book is morally clean. It does have kissing, but that is all. I loved this book!
I loved the emotional turmoil that wrapped around me connecting me with characters. It was a gripping pirate romance to the end. The end surprised me.

Mrs. Elise Berkley is a young widow at 24 with a 7 year old son to raise and she is adamant about not remarrying, that is till she meets the mysterious Mr. Jared Amesbury. Jared is renting a house for the summer and son of the Earl of Tarrington. She meets the infamous Jared Amesbury without knowing it at first when she comes upon a dangerous scene on her lands...a man with a noose around his neck held captive by two irreputable men holding a boy with a knife to his neck for information. She takes charge and demands the release of the man and boy using her gun as motivation. She saves the boy and man running off the other men. The man thanks her with a sweet caress to her cheek and a chaste kiss that surprises her with it's appeal. She acts the part of a proper lady and chastises the man for his forwardness, but can't take her eyes off this handsome stranger with appealing blue/green eyes and tantalizing smile.
She meets again with him at a party and has to give her name this time. She can't decide if the man dressed as a gentlemen is his true nature or the commoner in peril is the true man. The story goes on in this questioning.
Jared was in the British navy as a pirateer, but when the ship he worked on wasn't getting it's far cut of the profit it turned pirate and was found out. He was saved by the choice of death by noose or turn secret agent. He chose the later at 17 years of age and the last 12 years has been as if he were a servant doing the masters wishes. His last assignment brings him in contact with Elise and she changes his goals for the future to include her and her son and brings him to understand what he wants in life is stability and family. The last 3 years he is in guise as a pirate, Black Jack and his enemies while under disguise come back to haunt him. they take Elise hostage and even though he isn't on assignment anymore he goes to rescue her. He is captured and tried as a pirate...even his secret companion can't get his out of this hot spot nor his influential brothers. Elise goes to his hanging to support the man that she has come to love even though he has been a pirate, but after being on his ship and talking with his crew her views have changed. He is hanged. You have to read to see how she copes.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guise of a Gentleman.