Jo's Reviews > Rivers of London

Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: hometown-glories-uk, when-can-i-move-in, e
Recommended to Jo by: Catie
Read from June 27 to 29, 2011

I think the last time I saw a Punch and Judy show a plague of locusts descended on me.

OK, maybe not locusts… but it sounds much more ominous than what they really were: Ladybirds.

I was eleven and was holidaying (in true British fashion- think ridiculous sunburn and ice cream dribbling down your arm) in Weston-Super-Mare with the entire family when the swarm descended. Seriously, I’m not making this up…. Apparently it happens quite a lot!
And now I can never think of Punch and Judy shows without thinking of those critters dropping from the lampposts and creating crunchy pavements. *shudder*

Oh and there’s also the fact that I’m absolutely terrified of puppets.

If you want to give me jaw-clenching nightmares…. That’s the way to do it.

So, imagine my horror when basically the whole plot of Rivers of London revolved around the horrendous shows that haunted the seafronts of my youth.

But, apart from the initial ‘OH MY GOD WHY DOES IT HAVE TO PUPPETS?’, I really loved this book.
The dialogue was hysterical, the characters were well thought out (and hot…. Peter Grant? Come on, you totally would.) and the whole idea was just so innovative and it zapped a bit of life into the mostly-tired detective/police genre.
Sure it sometimes felt that I was being hit over the head by the London AA route planner, but it was easy enough to skip over those bits.
It seems that in the past few months I have been neglecting books from my hometown, so it was really refreshing to read a book that took everything that I love about Britain; self-deprecating humour, sarcasm, wit, laughing at Londoners and readers of the Daily Mail, and turn it into a hilarious and intelligent novel which I believe will only get better as the series goes on.

Oh and there’s also WIZARDS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rivers of London.

06/27/2011 ""What would happen if Harry Potter grew up and joined the Fuzz."- Diana Gabaldon. I have a feeling I'm going to adore this book and I haven't even turned the page... or y'know.. clicked the '>' button on my Kindle." 1 comment
06/27/2011
17.0% ""Why would the FBI have me?" I asked. "They could use you as an Obama decoy." Pahaaaaha." 3 comments
06/28/2011
33.0% "Here come the vamps, little darling. "-and one thing was for certain- they absolutely weren't going to sparkle in the sunlight." Snicker."
06/29/2011
52.0% "Puppets? Why does it always have to be puppets?! :-|"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catie I never knew that ladybugs would swarm like that! I love how they took a picture of that woman frantically waving her hands while ladybugs swarm around her.

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Haha I know, you can just imagine the photographer being like... "Um.. OK, I think we've got what we need here. Let's go, we have a deadline!" as she gets carried away by them.

Catie LOL. Also, I did not know what the Punch and Judy puppets look like until I saw that picture. Frightening.

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo I know, right?
It makes the book and the (view spoiler) even more mentally scarring!

Catie *shudder*

I might pick up Moon Over Soho (or whatever it's called over there) soon. You?

message 6: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo It's called that here actually, I wonder why they didn't change it? Or why they changed the first one?
Yeah me too. We should time it so we're reading it together!

Catie Yeah! I've always wanted to do that but never have.