William's Reviews > God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

Oct 25, 08

Read in October, 2008

What a book. Its so hard to review a book who's author is both an enormous intellectual and an equally enormous ahole. I certainly would recommend it to every believer and think it will shake their foundations. But like every fanatic and believe me Hitchens is as fanatical in his atheism as any fundamentalist preacher, he overreaches. He spends chapters propositioning that communism is a new religion yet says nothing about the dominate economic worldwide system of capitalism?? He talks only briefly about MLK jr but doesn't see the unique position of the Black church in America? Hitchens was an unabashed supporter of the Iraqi invasion and America's illegal occupation and destruction of that cradle of civilization but...not a peep against the religion of oil money and its gas pumping temples on very American street corner?! But alas Hitchens picks easy targets and extrapolates, makes spurious connections and uses circular logic but damn if you won't leave this book saying that yes, religion poisons (and here is the qualifier) damn near everything!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God is Not Great.

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 11: by Qiana (new)

Qiana Great review! I have been intrigued by this book for some time, but can't get beyond Hitchens annoying personality.

message 10: by jo (new)

jo i confess, i'm a believer, and my dislike of hitchens' ideas plus your review convinces me entirely that this book would do absolutely nothing to shake the foundations of my faith. so religion poisons (damn near) everything: tell me something i don't know. human nature poisons (damn near) everything! people will find any excuse to poison themselves, each other, and the place where they live, though, i grant you, religion works exceedingly well as an excuse. yikes.

a sort of naturalistic/anthropological argument in favor of religion (not of its rationale and righteousness and truth, but of the fact that it's here to stay) is that if you take any three people and put them together on a desert anything, they won't go very long without coming up with some sort of religion. it's in the blood, man.

Mare I don't know that I'd call him an ahole, but your review made me laugh. Hitchens is so incredibly smart, I found myself wishing I could write like him.

message 8: by Eric (new) - rated it 1 star

Eric Ditto on how the author is "both an enormous intellectual and an equally enormous ahole." Very true!

Karl Religion is a huge target, but not an easy one. They have been around long enough.....

message 6: by Skyler (new)

Skyler I will pray for you.

William Skyler wrote: "I will pray for you."
I rather you spent the time taking your head out of your a..hole

message 3: by Rashida (new)

Rashida This all reminds me that I'm currently going thinking through an educational options dilemma and you're probably in a unique position to hash this out with me. remind me the next time I see you.

William Oh? I'm intrigued...no problemo, Rashida.

Pete Wyeth e overreaches. He spends chapters propositioning that communism is a new religion yet says nothing about the dominate economic worldwide system of capitalism?? He talks only briefly about MLK jr but doesn't see the unique position of the Black church in America?" I totally agree. I am in awe of his writing though.