Andy Shuping's Reviews > The Boys, Volume 1: The Name of the Game

The Boys, Volume 1 by Garth Ennis

May 20, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novel

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if the superheroes let their powers go to their heads? Well...you don't have to wonder anymore because this comic answers some of those questions. In this world superheroes aren't so concerned with saving all of the innocents. They don't care who they hurt to capture the "bad guy" and we discover...perhaps the two aren't so different. In this story a team of experts, backed by the CIA, are the watchmen of the superheros. They net out punishment when the "heroes" have stopped preforming their duties and have started not caring for the mortals around them.

The story is...shall we say a bit disconcerting? Its hard to imagine the heroes as not quite so saintly and instead act more like common hoodlums. But the story is expertly told. In the very first pages Ennis shows us why this world is different from other DC/Marvel universes that we maybe familiar with. The grief of Hughie is palpable throughout the book and the actions and inactions of the other characters seems at times all to close to the real world. The artwork I struggle with bit, in part because some of the characters faces are all too human while other are more cartoonish, it makes for some odd transition scenes.

Overall...this is a book I'd recommend to fans of superhero series (mature readers only). It takes an interesting take on the superhero universe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boys, Volume 1.