Stephanie's Reviews > 'Salem's Lot

Jun 03, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: classics, horror
Read from May 20 to June 03, 2011

I'm hesitent to give this 2 stars because it's not a bad book, but I did not enjoy it. I am not used to this type of storytelling. I can argue Ben, the writer, is the main character, but with dozens of detailed backstory on the townspeople, poor Ben gets lost in the shuffle. I found it difficult to care about anyone with so many storylines going on. There is a section in one of the later chapters with a description of what each townsperson is eating for dinner. I don't care what Mabel is eating. Where is the vampire?

The villian is truly creepy. I appreciated the depth of detail when it came to him. I cared about his backstory. I defintely get the parallels of evil vampire to the everyday evils of a small rural community. I think some serious paring down would have helped. I can't help but wonder if this book would get published today. I loved Stephen King's book On Writing, which is what urged me to read Salem's Lot. I plan to give one of his later novels a chance.

Note: I listened to the audio book and the narrator is well cast. The forward narrated by King himself was more enjoyable than his story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Salem's Lot.

05/31/2011