Lisa Bergren's Reviews > The Vespertine

The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

May 24, 11

Read from May 20 to 24, 2011

To be honest, I had a hard time getting into this book and almost set it aside. I haven’t read historical fiction—that felt like it was written in the nineteenth century—since college. And therefore, it was a bit of a challenge to get into the cadence, settle into the rhythm of these character’s lives and the way they see things. But once you do…oh, once you do! Captivating, enthralling, deliciousness. So if you’re struggling up front, hang in there. It’ll be worth it, I promise.

The author’s gift when it comes to description (“Longing felt like a thread, slipping between us, sewing us together”) and snappy dialogue (“Do forgive me,” he said, eyes meeting mine as he brushed gloved fingers over my boot. “I’ve no reputation of my own, and I forget they matter”) made me literally, repeatedly pause, rereading a line, then two. It’s been a long time since a book has made me do that. I’ll be looking for the sequel, due out in 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vespertine.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tabitha Olson I so agree! Saundra does an amazing job with her characters and setting. I always feel transported when I read her work. I'm looking forward to the sequel, too.

BTW, I got an email that my pre-ordered copy of Cascade is on it's way to me! *squeee*

Lisa Bergren Yay! Thanks so much for your support, Tabitha. It means a lot!

Serena Chase I go back and forth on whether or not I'm looking forward to the sequel... something kept me drawn to keep reading, but I rarely felt fully engaged. Those scenes in which I did, however, are probably what kept me going. I felt the ending was a little "huh?" so the curiosity standpoint alone might be enough to urge me toward reading the sequel... but it's not likely that I'll pre-order.