Emilie's Reviews > Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make

Sewing School by Andria Lisle

May 20, 2011

bookshelves: crafty-reads
Read in May, 2011

I got this book from my local library this week. I sat down immediately and read through the entire thing. It was very inspiring. I really loved the tips for teaching large groups of children to sew and there are charming little quotes from young sewists peppered throughput the book.

Projects are easily identified by stars indicating difficulty level. There was also a lot of great pictures which made the projects easy to follow. Most projects are for hand sewing. I think this is a crucial skill to learn for all ages. But if you were looking for a book to introduce kids to sewing on a sewing machine, this is probably not your best bet.

My only minor issue was that many of the projects were not quite as cute as they could have been. With minor adjustments many of the projects could have been much more polished, without increasing the skill level. However, the authors do encourage putting your own creative touch on their plans so I would probably just amp up the cuteness when making some of the projects myself.

After finishing the book I emailed a group of Moms with daughters (and maybe sons) between the ages of 4-8 and invited them to a Mother/Daughter Sewing School party. I think it will be tons of fun to be creative during the Summer months and teach my girls a very important skill.

I will definately be purchasing this book. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sewing School.