Steve's Reviews > The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales

The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales by Mark Samuels

May 20, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, horror, e-books
Read from July 06 to 08, 2011

"As he struggled to recall which of the textbooks contained the reference, Barron caught sight of something the size of a large cat moving amidst the undergrowth of weeds between the two tombs. The thing was curiously shapeless, and a mottled grey colour. Perhaps it was just Barron's fever playing tricks, but he could have sworn the thing had been crawling with more than four limbs." --"Xapalpa."

I've been wanting to read more of this guy for some time now. For some reason his White Hands collection is not available in the U.S. Anyway, I was thrilled to find this out as an e-book.

*Update. Probably more like 3 1/2 stars. I may write a more extensive review later, but basically I often felt that parts of stories were usually greater than the whole (see above). I think Samuels is an outstanding talent, but many of these stories felt rushed or they ended too abruptly. On the other hand, I was never bored. As a reading experience, I zipped through this collection. If you like the old classics in Weird Lit., he's someone you should read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales.

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen I think I saw that thing in the bushes just outside the Main Interior building as I was leaving tonight.

Steve Karen wrote: "I think I saw that thing in the bushes just outside the Main Interior building as I was leaving tonight."

Ha! I know what that thing is. Saw one last week from the van window -- at 3:20 in the afternoon!

Simon I take it that you don't think this collection is as string as the "White Hands" collection? Still worth reading though?

Steve Simon wrote: "I take it that you don't think this collection is as string as the "White Hands" collection? Still worth reading though?"

Oh, I think it's definitely worth reading. I just don't recall any stories as strong as those (that I've read) from White Hands. I haven't read White Hands, but have read several stories in anthologies. At the time I read it, White Hands wasn't available in the U.S. I see now that it's available on Kindle. I'm going to get it.