Kerrilyn's Reviews > Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea

Pyongyang by Guy Delisle

May 19, 11

Read in May, 2011

Pyongyang is a graphic novel that serves as a sort of diary for Guy Delisle for the two months he was living in North Korea for his job. I read this in one sitting and really got a sense of Guy's isolation while he was there: hardly able to go anywhere by himself, only able to see exactly what the government wanted him to see, impossible to not view everything as government propaganda.

I have always been intrigued by North Korea, especially in terms of how it has some really over-the-top displays of wealth and power to show the rest of the world, yet is mostly (as far as I know) in shambles. It seems like everything is one huge exercise in propaganda and mind control (marketing and public relations on an international level!). So in that sense I can't get enough of the tidbits about daily life in Pyongyang that Delisle illustrates.

I found the reviews that see Pyongyang as a racist novel interesting. I didn't feel that as I read it (and I still don't agree that it is racist or misogynistic), but since reading the reviews I can agree that Delisle writes this from his own perspective as a person who was raised in a first world country.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pyongyang.