Meghan's Reviews > Behind the Gates

Behind the Gates by Eva Gray

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: own-arc
Read from May 19 to 28, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

A slightly edited version is also posted on Luxury Reading and a shortened version is posted on my blog, Books and a Cup of Tea.

Louisa lives in a world plagued with war. Nothing is the same, and it seems nothing will ever be the same again.

In order to protect her and her friend Maddie, Louisa's parents send them to a boarding school called Country Manor School, where they have to pretend to be twin sisters. But when they arrive, things just start getting weirder and weirder. First, they have to hand over all electronics and jewelry for "safe keeping." They are told that there are no phone towers or anything to power their electronics. No phone service, television service, or internet service.

Then, they are repeatedly called the "girls of Tomorrow" and are taught outdoor surviving skills like sharp shooting, archery, making a fire, and foraging for edible plants and berries. Louisa is enjoying all these new and exciting things to do, but Maddie is not.

Maddie becomes friends with a conspiracy theorist, Evelyn and starts feeding into all the theories that Evelyn spouts off. Maddie starts believing that CMS is not quite what it seems, either.

So are they just paranoid? Or is there something else going on?

I hadn't heard much about Tomorrow Girls: Behind the Gates, but I decided to give it a shot anyway, because the premise sounded very intriguing. I'm quite glad I did.

I believe that Behind the Gates can be classified as middle grade fiction or juvenile young adult. The main characters are thirteen- and fourteen-year-olds and you can tell they sometimes have a younger voice. They do seem to have an older voice and opinion at times, though. This did not bother me at all. In fact, I enjoyed reading a younger view for a change. But if you prefer the main characters to be older or act older, then this will be a con for you.

Louisa is the main character of Behind the Gates, as the book is told in first person from her view. She likes CMS and doesn't see why some people don't like it. Her liking the school and Maddie disliking the school causes them to grow apart. Maddie starts annoying Louisa with all her negativity. This sort of bothered me about Louisa, because it seems like she plain just dropped Maddie. And she did, but she realizes her mistake and she tries to fix it.

Every character had a personality, but I believe that Gray could have gone more in depth with them. I'm reluctant on saying this fact, though, because I'm sure each character will continue to grow more depth as the series goes on. This is why this small set back didn't really bother me.

The writing was simple, but great. I got a picture in my mind of what Gray was telling me. My only disappointment with the writing, was that I wish Gray would have written more about the world and how the War came about and what exactly was going on. I was confused about those details, I just knew a war was going on. I am, again, reluctant on saying this, because I believe that Gray will go in more depth with the world as the series goes on.

With that said, the plot was great. The middle of the book could have had more action or something going on, as it was just Louisa going from class to class, liking the school more and becoming friends with Rosie, the fourth main character. And of course Evelyn still saying she had a bad feeling about the place.

Things finally pick up though at the end, and it left me wanting to read the next book, which of course is a good thing. I did not anticipate the ending and I was satisfied by it.

Overall, Behind the Gates was a very good first book in a series, and I will be reading the second. If you can look past the few gripes I had and have hope for the series, like I did, I'm sure you'll find this book enjoyable and a fast read.

I give Tomorrow Girls: Behind the Gates a 3 out of 5.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Gates.

05/19/2011 page 61