Liz's Reviews > The Lincoln Lawyer

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

May 19, 11

Read in May, 2011

Mickey Haller is a lawyer who works out of the back of a Lincoln. Hence the name of the book. I’m glad I was able to clear that up for you.

He is also a defense attorney which puts him at odds with a lot of people. His ex-wife (and mother of his daughter) works in the DA’s office as a prosecutor and finds his wheeling & dealing method of getting justice reprehensible even if she does know that the criminals need representation too. The police dislike him because they feel he works to put the criminals they’ve taken off the street back out there. Even his clients tend to dislike him when they think he is over-charging or not getting them good enough deals. Despite this, his natural charm and silver tongue usually keep him from being hated.

He manages to dance through life without missing a beat very often. He has a young daughter he loves and manages to keep his head above water financially. And then one day he is contacted on behalf of Louis Roulet, a wealthy playboy who has been accused of beating up Reggie Campo, a prostitute. He’s thrilled by this – Louis Roulet and his mother are very wealthy and can pay him very, very well (his prices are on a bit of a sliding scale). It’s the big time and Mickey is thrilled, until he begins to notice odd inconsistencies in the stories Louis Roulet and Reggie Campo. This is further complicated when memories of an old case began to surfaces and Mickey begins to wonder if he’s faced with his biggest fear: a truly innocent client.

I’m sure I’m not the first to make comparisons between the author, Michael Connelly and John Grisham – mostly because I’m not big on legal thrillers and I don’t have anyone else to compare him to. In my opinion, the beginning of the book is dry with the descriptions of Mickey’s day-to-day work and his time in court. However, I’m glad I soldiered on, since it picked up as the book went on.

Mickey Haller is an interesting man. He lives in the shadow of a father he never really knew who was a famous mafia lawyer. He died when Mickey was in kindergarten; Mickey knows his father through the books he wrote. Often Mickey finds himself doing things because he knew his father had, such as defending ladies of the evening for a very low rate. Despite the fact it will never come, he still works for his father’s approval. He finds himself frequently questioning his lifestyle and whether it is something he wants to continue doing. Sometimes he dreams of giving up the law to start a cab service with his Lincolns (he buys them in sets of five).

And so my big recommendation: If you like legal thrillers, you’ll love this. If you don’t, you still might enjoy it. I thought it was a well-crafted story and I’m looking forward to seeing the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lincoln Lawyer.