Cassie's Reviews > Deadly Little Secret

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz

May 28, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, books-i-own, read-in-2011, reviewed-on-blog
Read from May 26 to 27, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Deadly Little Secret was a good book. I usually don't like reviews that try and parallel a book to the Twilight series. However, for the first time I can honestly say that I saw a lot of similarities in Deadly Little Secret to Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

A girl, in this case Camelia, falls in love with the mysterious young boy, in this case Ben. Ben is obviously hiding a secret and has alredy been ostricized by the entire school because of his past and being accused of his girlfriends death. Ben in the beginning of the book saves Camelia from being run down by... yes, a car. (sound similiar yet?).

Camelia and Ben slowly get closer, even through Ben's swearing they need to stay away from each other because, she is not safe around him. It is later found out that Ben has pyschometry, the ability to sense the past, present, and future through touch. And he only desides to be around Camelia after he feels she is in danger, after he accidentally touches her, in their only class together.... what else, Chemistry (sound similiar yet?).

They slowly start to get closer, and even go on a picnic together, where Camelia practically jumps on him at one point and kisses him. At first Ben kisses her back, but pulls back because, yes, it later found out that he sensed even stronger that Camelia was in danger from something.

Later on, after Ben finally convinces Camelia to talk to him alone, he finally confides in her about his ability and what really happened to his girlfriend. That she was cheating on him with his best friend and that when he had confronted her on it and accidentally scared her, she backed away from him and was not paying attention to how close she was to the edge of the cliff and fell off (Ben of course tried to grab her before she fell but was unable to) and she died instantly. That is where he got the scar on his arm. (A reverse if you ask me, because in Twilight it is Bella who gets the scar on her hand).

So together Ben and Camelia try to figure out who is stalking her and leaving threatening messages. The whole while Kimmie and Wes (Camelia's best friends) keep trying to convince her to not fully trust Ben. Which is already a struggle for her. (This is one of the difference's from Twilight because Bella instantly and always trusts Edward undoubtingly).

All in all it finally comes down to Camelia being kidnapped by her stalker and Ben, last minute figuring out who it is, following the person and saving Camelia at the last possible moment. (sound familiar a little?).

Okay, so over all, Deadly Little Secret was a good read. A fast read, but a good one none the less. I love the Twilight series, so even though there are a lot of parts in this book that remind me of it, Im not going to fault the book for there. For while, there are a lot of parts that remind me of it, there is enough difference in some of the things that happen in the book, to still keep it originally and completley it's own. Not just a copy of an already written story.

At the end of Deadly Little Secret Ben leaves. Something that definitely left me sad, because well, I had come to really like Ben's character. (LOL. Yes I am totally Team Edward, and in this case Team Ben). I would definitely recommend this book to anyone that wants a quick, nice book to read, that does not have a lot of gory, death and dark sense's that a lot of fantasy YA books oft time have in them.

P.S. The only thing I will say to figuring out who it is stalking Camelia is this. Laurie Faria Stolarz reveals the person practically at the very beginning of the book. If you pay enough attention you can figure it out. Good luck and enjoy reading.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Little Secret.

05/26/2011 page 47