Caroline's Reviews > Eon

Eon by Alison Goodman

Aug 02, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, favorite-covers, read-in-2013, audio
Read from June 26 to August 02, 2013

Eon felt very much in the vein of one of my favorite authors, Tamora Pierce--epic fantasy in a well-developed world with a young woman taking charge of her destiny. Eon tackles gender inequality, transgenders as well as plenty of cross dressing and eunuchs, all in a east Asia fantasy world (as opposed to the typical European-style setting). Along with these, Eon can be a really frustrating character to sympathize with at times, but in the end I couldn't help but want to see her overcome her mountains of fears (which, seriously, were justified throughout) and succeed.

The pacing in here is off at times, especially when Eon is really struggling with what to do about the situations she feels stuck in. There's a ton of angst and worry, and some of it was pretty obvious as a reader how to get around it. Still, it was the journey of watching her grow that proved to be satisfying, and some of the drag I experienced was really from not having as much time to listen to audiobooks as I normally do.

Definitely recommended to fans of Tamora Pierce, or just fantasy books in general where gender roles are challenged.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eon.

06/26/2013 page 2
16.0% "Oh, wow. A matter of minutes in and this already was making some biting commentary on sexism (reminiscent of Tamora Pierce) AND disability. Why did it take me so long to pick this up?!" 1 comment
show 3 hidden updates…