Ed's Reviews > The Invisible Bridge

The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer

Aug 27, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, 5-stars, favorites, historical-fiction, new-author-to-me, read-on-kindle, shared-in-household, debut-novel
Read from May 19 to June 07, 2011

I don't know how a quickie review can possible describe the wonder that is Julie Orringer's The Invisible Bridge. It is sprawling, 750+ epic of the life of Andras Levi, a Hungarian Jew in the years leading up to and during WWII. Giving that heritage, you can imagine the sense of foreboding, the dark cloud that is on the horizon even when the novel is at its happiest.

What most impressed me about Orringer's debut novel (she had previously published a short story collection) is how she makes you really feel for these characters. If you'd ask me "Don't you always feel the characters' emotions?" I'd probably have said "yes" but certainly have to re-think it after this novel as I often felt as happy, nervous, or betrayed as Andras did on the page.

Kudos also to Orringer for being a master storyteller. Again, this is something you just take as a given with published authors, but Orringer takes it to another level. That said, did I flag a bit towards the middlish-end and over the 20 days I spent with it? Yes, but in this increasingly A.D.D world we're living in that Orringer kept me captivated throughout the vast majority of it is truly a testament to her .. and the ending, wow! (Note: As one is often told to stay to the end credits of a movie, don't skip the acknowledgements

This book came highly recommended from two folks and I will certainly be adding myself to the "And they told two friends... and so on, and so on..." list. It is a big commitment of a book, but well-worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Bridge.