Jojo's Reviews > The Looking Glass Wars

bookshelves: read2007, fantasy, young-adult
Recommended for: masochists
Read in May, 2007

This book is terrible.

In theory, I like it. The idea behind it intrigues me, but the reality is that it is just so badly written. Good idea, very poor execution! Cliche characters! Stupid names! A writing style so awful it was almost physically painful to read!

Yet I'll probably read the sequel (sequels?) when it comes out. Clearly, I've learned nothing from reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Looking Glass Wars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crystal agreed. This book had so much promise. The idea and basis was intriguing. The execution and writing had much to be desired. It took me months to read because I kept losing interest.

Moonheart I have read both great books and total crud in my life (and my English Major, classic-lit fan of a Mother generally agrees with me). I have to say this book falls on the favorable end of somewhere in between. It's never going to be considered great literature, but I loved it.

Then again, I can't really blame you for, contrary to most people's beliefs, thinking the writing style of this book is painful. I think Eragon is one of the worst books I have ever attempted to read, because the writing is just so awful.

Stavros Tsiakalos While I have to agree that in this book an intriguing idea is let down by the writting, please allow me to ask one tiny little thing: You comment on the stupid names, but did stupid names bother you in Harry Potter? Because those are the books I found suffered the most from stupid names.

Sahar Siddiqi Haha! I'm like that too, I continue series even though I'm well aware that the books are plainly awful...it's the plot twists that the authors stick in at the end of the books that are obviously there to make you keep reading. I fall for them, yep. But no more! I refuse to read the next books in this series!

Karen you got the point but i like the names and since this is fiction and is fantasy and stuff, i think its creative names. just my opinion

Callie Rose Tyler agreed!