Jessica's Reviews > The City of Ember

The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: nook-library, read-in-2012
Read from July 02 to 07, 2012

For some reason, I put off reading this for quite a while. I think I expected it to be a kid book, not a YA book, though I have no clue where I got that idea. But it was on my to-read list, and I know that things on my to-read list had to be recommended to me by *someone*, so I snagged the Nook version with my birthday B&N gift card.

I really, really enjoyed this book! The premise is really interesting, and the setting is unique. An entire city, hidden underground for 200+ years to ride out some unnamed disaster? Oh and things are starting to fall apart? And they think their city is the entire world? Yes, let's see where this goes!

I don't want to say a lot, because I've already read book two and I don't want to mix them up, but I will say that this book is one of those insightful ones, that say things about human nature. Through the events of the book, you see people people at their best and their worst. There are parallels, where Doon is listening to his father warn against some folly, and Lina is at the same time seeing someone else do that exact thing, and then you see the consequences. I'll admit it makes a few things a bit predictable from an adult perspective, but it's perfect for YA because it never gets in the way of the story.

Also, I loved figuring out the "strange artifacts" as things started happening at the end of the book. Having to describe such common things as they would be seen by someone with no concept of them can't have been easy, but the author did it, and it was fun to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Ember.