Longfellow's Reviews > The Long Loneliness: The Autobiography of the Legendary Catholic Social Activist

The Long Loneliness by Dorothy Day

Mar 14, 08

bookshelves: faith-religion
Read in February, 2008

Quotes:

"It is not easy always to be joyful, to keep in mind the duty of delight."

"We need to make the kind of society," Peter [Maurin] had said, "where it is easier for people to be good."

"As I write this there is less than a hundred dollars in the bank, the line of men stretches to the corner [. . .] How can we go on? We are as sure as we ever were that God can multiply the loaves, as He has sheltered the homeless these many years."

At first the lack of chronological context frustrated me. Overwhelmed by names, places, and events, I thought if I knew what ORDER things happened in, I would have a better sense of what they meant in Dorothy's life or what they should mean to me...at the very least, I thought chronology would help me REMEMBER something.

I'm ashamed to confess it took me over half the book to realize that the chronology appears chaotic because it is of little importance to Dorothy when she tells her story. What is important is WHAT happened, not when. WHO, WHY, and HOW also matter, but all are secondary to what.

And here is what happens in her life, in its oh-so-human yet oh-so-God-graced way:

Love becomes visible through compassion and community.
Over and over again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Loneliness.

message 1: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Brian....i love, love your comments!