Debbie's Reviews > Prayers for Sale: A Novel

Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas

May 25, 2011

it was ok
Read from May 19 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy

Not sure if I should give this 2 or 3 stars. I would call it ok, brimming on good. I liked the “story” but within the story the main character, Hennie told a lot of stories. I get that she lived 86yrs and had a lot to tell. In a good way, her stories set the scene for the town, its inhabitants, its history and Hennie’s life. In another way, there were just TOO many stories. Every time I would get excited and engrossed in the story, she would cut in or should I should I say “faded” into some story. I understand the author was using the medium of the stories to give the reader background within the story but after so many, after a while, mainly toward the middle of the book, it just became tedious. I wanted less stories and more Story! I liked learning about the mountain way of life. It was interesting hearing about the mining town, its scenery and history. The characters, what we learned of them was interesting and at times endearing. What a surprise in the very end! I did like the overtone of prayer, longevity, giving and forgiving. All in all, when I focused, I liked this book. However, I don’t think I should have had to focus so hard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prayers for Sale.

05/23/2011 page 214
64.0% "I'm having a time pushing on..these stories Hennie tells are not that great! Oh, here she goes again."