Pia Veleno's Reviews > His Hearth

His Hearth by Mary Calmes

May 02, 12

Read in April, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I really liked the paranormal aspect of this story, but it took way too long to get to that point. For about two-thirds of the story, it was a contemporary, then suddenly, demons show up and Ryan could combat them with preternatural speed and strength.

I probably wouldn't have minded that so much if it'd been foreshadowed, or started a little sooner, because up until that point, the story was all Ryan mooning over Julian, and at psycho-stalker levels. Even once they hooked up, Ryan's behavior was very needy to the point of creepy. I get self-confidence issues, but the man was a model for his day job, so it didn't fit his profile.

Julian wasn't very interesting as a character. He was perfect -- great job, awesome best friend, and a model eagerly pursuing him despite his best efforts to go home alone. Every character needs a flaw, but Julian didn't have one. He even accepted paranormal surprises with barely more than a flustered few questions.

Overall, while I did slam the characters, the paranormal warder/hearth stuff was interesting enough that I'll probably pick up the next book in the series with the hope that it's much more paranormal than this one.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Hearth.