Jessica (a GREAT read)'s Reviews > Deadworld

Deadworld by J.N. Duncan

May 19, 2011

it was ok
Read from June 24 to 25, 2011

J.N. Duncan's Deadworld was an okay sort of read. I've had it on my TBR pile for awhile now and managed to get to it recenty. Although unfortunately I wasn't very impressed. It just wasn't the book for me.

The pacing was a little too slow for me at times. It centered around the need to find the bad guy who was killing people, which was fine. You never knew who he was going after next. Jackie was determined to find him and ends up accepting outside help from Nick Anderson who had started out as a suspect, but was more involved in this "case" than she'd expected.

There was quite the shocking surprise in the book as well. One I really wasn't expecting, which made for interesting times and all, but still it took over 200 pages to get to that point. Then there was a sort of lapse in the plot where nothing really happens. It's the "down time".

I'm not really sure where everything fell flat for me. I kept reading because I wanted to finish the book. But in the end, it was just sort of meh. Jackie made an interesting character, she was flawed in some ways, but that made her more real I guess you could say. Although some of her actions and choices weren't always great. There was also a bit too much cussing in the book as well for me. I thought I was used to it, but man, this book really challenges me with the swearing. I didn't mind it too much, but at several points it seemed like there was swearing and dropping of the f-bomb on every page! And if a page happened to not have that word on it, it woud be there 2-3 times on the next. It just seemed unnecessary to have it used so many times.

With that and the rather slow pacing, this book just didn't go well for me. The characters were still pretty good. Very colorful and flavorful I guess you could say. But still this one just wasn't for me.

Overall rating 2/5 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadworld.