K's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

F_50x66
May 25, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks, chicklit
Read from May 19 to 25, 2011

We were three sisters who wanted to write a story that was different from any other. Or even if it was a cliché, at least we could make it seem different by using the first-person plural narrative. And by adding a gimmick – a father who’s a professor of Shakespeare, so that Shakespearean quotations could be thrown in at convenient times to make the reader feel literary and make us seem different.

Rose, the oldest, insisted that she be the overfunctioning sister. “All sister duos in these books must consist of an overfunctioner and an underfunctioner,” she preached. “But we’re not a duo,” whined Cordy, the youngest. “How can we be an overfunctioner and underfunctioner if there are three of us?” Rose, of course, had it all figured out. “The underfunctioning sister is usually both a slut and a flake,” she said to Cordy and to the middle sister, Bianca. “So you’ll both be underfunctioners, just one of you will be the slut and one of you will be the flake.” “Fine by me,” Bianca drawled, flipping her hair, “Only I get to be the slut.” “Well, I’m the youngest,” said Cordy, “So I guess it would fit for me to be the flake.”

“Now,” said Rose, ticking another item off her agenda. “Here’s the premise – are you ready? Life-threatening illness of a family member brings the estranged siblings together. Dysfunction ensues, to be gradually replaced by bonding and the realization that the family is actually more loving than the sisters previously thought. Great idea, isn’t it? And original too.” Bianca and Cordy nodded; after all, as the underfunctioners they didn’t have much of an opinion although they did occasionally talk back or surprise everyone with some uncharacteristically wise insight.

"Okay," said Rose. "Now each of us needs a dilemma, problem, growth opportunity -- you know the shpiel." "How about Bianca gets pregnant?" asked Cordy. "Being a slut and all." "Don't be ridiculous, Cordy," Bianca snorted. "That will ruin my slut image, not to mention my figure. Why don't you get pregnant instead?" "Do I have to?" moaned Cordy. "It's perfect," said Rose. "A perfectly flaky thing to do, and a chance for you to overcome your childishness. But what about you, Bianca?" "An affair with a married man, I guess," said Bianca. "And you, Rose?" "Well, as the resident overfunctioner, I could realize that I need to stop being so controlling, that the family won't fall apart without me, that I can leave home, follow my dreams..."

“Don’t I at least get a love interest?” begged Cordy. "It won't be a women's book without romance." “Don’t worry,” Rose reassured her. “Somewhere in the first pages we’ll mention that a guy we grew up with has come back to our small town. Like Chekhov’s gun, by the end of the book that guy will be dating one of us – you, Cordy, I guess, since Bianca will have her married man.” “That could be another theme,” Cordy said. “Leaving the big city for the small town and finding that experience to be redemptive. That’s pretty unusual.”

“This is getting good,” said Rose, and we all agreed. Rose was starting to have that look of satisfaction we knew so well. “Last thing,” she added, “We should all love to read. I mean, really love to read. And that fact should be mentioned wherever possible.” We wholeheartedly agreed. After all, our readers would be people who loved to read. And with inspired books like this one, what’s not to love?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.

05/20/2011 "Aaaaahhh! It's "In Her Shoes"...it's "The Cookbook Collector"...it's "Winter Garden"...it's "Sweet Valley High"...why didn't they just call this "The Clicheed Sisters"?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee Hysterical!

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K Thanks!

message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Quite brilliant. :) Thoroughly enjoyed this.

message 4: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K Thanks! I had fun writing it.

message 5: by Reese (new)

Reese I'm standing with the other folks who really appreciated this clever review.

message 6: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K Thanks! That's nice to hear.

Mayra Haha, this is so freaking funny.

message 8: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K Thanks!

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn i like the book, but your review might be better! very funny.

message 10: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K Thanks, Lynn! My favorite compliments on snarky reviews are the ones from people who enjoyed the book (especially since people who liked the book sometimes post angry troll-like comments instead). I really appreciate your openness.

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise DeSio Ha ha ha! Very clever.

Denise DeSio