Kaseka's Reviews > The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

1420632
May 19, 11

bookshelves: history, investigative-journalism, nonfiction, reference, true-crime, has
Read in January, 2008

I read this for a journalism class a few years ago, and liked it enough to seek out more of Larson's books on my own, as well as others in the historical true crime genre.

The Devil in the White City follows the stories of the men who built the Chicago World's Fair; as well as H.H. Holmes, a serial killer whose concurrent building project was much more sinister. The H.H. Holmes sections were generally more interesting to me than the fair-building, so at times the alternating chapters were annoying--Holmes was up to something, and I wanted to know what it was! For the most part, however, the book was enjoyable for both subjects it covered. Its linear narrative thread kept me turning pages, too, which gave it the enjoyability of a fictional narrative with the heightened stakes of being entirely true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the White City.