Baileyy's Reviews > The Whirlwind

The Whirlwind by Carol Matas

U_50x66
May 19, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading
Recommended to Baileyy by: mme. charbonneau
Read in May, 2011

My book is named the whirlwind and the author is Carol Matas. This book is about a family of Jews who run away from Hitler to the United States. the boy named Ben gets in the most trouble when he runs away and his father follows him. In the end he has an epiphany.

I think the best part of the book is when he almost dies. He almost died because he got jumped while he was sleeping in a crate. I think this is the best part because then the book would have to be over. They wouldn't have gone on and on about some dead guy. I think the worst part is when he is talking to the rabbi because he is annoying and it is creepy.

I chose "theme". I think the main idea is that Ben was angry at the world and thought that he couldn't trust anybody. He learn't that there can't be love without hate or there can't be good without bad. He thought this because he had told his family to go to the U.S. much earlier and because they didn't listen to him. They had to leave the grand-parents and Ben's best friend to be sent to camps and die. I think the author is trying to say that without one thing the opposite could not be possible, without bad there could be no good. Some bad things to could be good to others, some good things can be bad to others

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whirlwind.