Amelia's Reviews > Charlie All Night

Charlie All Night by Jennifer Crusie

Jul 05, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 19 to June 03, 2011

Yes, it all started with a one-night stand, or at least what was supposed to be a one-night stand. The physical relationship was easy enough for the couple to get addicted to, but the other part of the relationship – the important stuff – is figured out afterwards.

It’s watching a relationship develop backwards, or a car driving in reverse on the highway. And just as scary as it sounds, it is still eye-catching. Good luck looking away from that scene! Especially with the humor and strain exhibited between Charlie and Allie, not to mention Charlie’s character. Did I mention Charlie?

How can anyone not fall for a guy who defends a woman’s honor against the scathing words of her ex-boyfriend? Or a guy who is gentle enough to cradle a tiny puppy against his muscular shoulders? (I bet that image alone could make many women swoon). His skills in the bedroom don’t hurt his appeal, either. That’s Charlie, in a nut shell. Swooning, yet?

Allie’s character isn’t so bad herself. I cannot help admiring how she is comfortable with her own “soft” figure. I especially love how Charlie appreciates a full-bodied women, too (sorry, digressing back to Charlie, again). I was a tad bothered with Allie’s initial intention to use Charlie to get over her own problems. Then again, without this act, Allie wouldn’t have created the conflict – falling for Charlie – and we wouldn’t have an incredibly fun book to read.

My only complaint is when the book got a bit didactic at the closing, with the whole drug legalization subject. But, I can overlook that point when I think of the smiles, blushing, and laughter I had through the rest of the story.

So, would I recommend this swooning, tender, steaming, and funny novel? Do you really have to ask?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlie All Night.

Victoria Yay! Jennifer Crusie!

Amelia You gotta love her. I was laughing in the first chapter!