Mel's Reviews > Lothaire

Lothaire by Kresley Cole

Jan 31, 12

Read from January 22 to 30, 2012

(3,5 stars)
This book was entertaining (hey: it's Cole!) but compared to her earlier work it was just okay. It had some definite 5 star moments (Lothaire's sarcasm for one) but overall the general plot line wasn't great and it just went on and on. I also stick to my guns: Lothaire should have been with Nix.
In full:

The good:
Lothaire. Oh what a wonderful hero (and I use this term loosely) he is. Super powerful, super knowing and super cynical. Not a shred of modesty in that vampire and when you resent being called narcissistic because you were there first and Narcissus should just be called Lothairistic... then you're my man!

Thad. I know he's only seventeen, but boy: do I lurveeee him. He is honesty, toughness and naivety all wrapped up in a pretty package.

The bad:
The plot. What exactly happened? Besides a whole lot of sitting around the mansion I mean. And I'll be the first one to admit that I found the last few adventure plots repetitive, but hanging around one place isn't really much better.
Besides that, the story -though entertaining- had a long feel to it. I know the book is bigger, but there is expanding the story line and then there is dragging it out. (The plugging of the new spin off series was tastefully done though. I'm curious about those Dacians.)

The ugly:
Actions and traits. At around 70% of the book, situations became contrived because of out of character actions by both Lothaire and Ellie. She became overly dramatic and he became emotionally retarded. Now I know he's a newbie in experiencing and expressing true feelings, but he's not an idiot. He knows the rationale behind certain behavior and he knows what makes one tick or turn off. How could he have (emotionally) manipulated thousands if he's really that emotionally challenged?

The pairing. I am sorry: I tried. I think I gave Ellie Peirce a fair chance and I liked her okay, really. I just don't think she is right for Lothaire. However smart and surprising we're told she is, she can't match him.
*mild spoiler* The domestication of Lothaire near the ending was an example of it. By no means was it character castration (afterall: the man still thinks friends are people who continuously invade one's personal space and mean dogs are cool), but this is a millennia-old, unredeemable vampire! The Dark King! Who, in my humble -though very persistent- opinion, only fits one woman: Nucking Futs Nix. The few Nix/Lothaire scenes went to demonstrate that and, to me, were the highlights of the book.
Black King & White Queen: a perfect match.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lothaire.

01/22/2012 page 1
01/26/2012
52.0% "Helen? Tymur? Who?" 17 comments
01/29/2012
94.0% "These Nix/ moments are to die for! Oh but wait... I was supposed to root for Ellie... :S" 4 comments
01/30/2012
99.0% "Bah. The domestication of Lothaire... :|"
01/30/2012
100.0% 8 comments

Shay We have to deal with it. and move on.

Anyway, I think it pure genius of KC to name Lothaire's book: 'Lothaire'.
Its sooo pretentious, Its sooo... Lothaire!

No other name will do :)

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I hate the picture! Hate it hate it hate it. I think I shall boycot this book!

Shay Since when does it have a cover? it wasnt there earlier. and you're right. hate it too, where is the half naked dude??? its not IAD without Hlaf-Naked dude...

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel It looks like a fake Eric from Sookie. Lothaire is just so, so much more!

MsMiz (Tina) Who is Elizabeth Pierce.....I cannot remember anything right now. That cover..wugh

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel We don't know her. That's even worse! A mere human we don't even know, in stead of Her Greatness Nucking Futs Nix.

MsMiz (Tina) Well I knew it would not be Nix...but he needs someone who can kick his ass from this realm to the next. This Eliz Pierce better rock this world.

Gyn I had really been hoping for Nix! I LOVE her! And I agree....that cover is so NOT Lothaire.

message 9: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Bah! I say: bah!

Estela It's not that bad, Mel! ;) You're right on one account, I'd have liked to see Nixie + Lothaire together in one book... but it was a bit unlikely.

message 11: by Mel (last edited May 25, 2011 02:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oh Estela, but I'm just so diappointed! I figured Nixie and Lothaire wouldn't be together, because her book was planned second to last in the series and his would come out earlier. But I just stubbornly kept on hoping. And last book, with Nix and Lothaire so evidently being the opposite sides of the same force, I actually dared to think that maybe Cole was just playing with us and Nixie and Lothaire would indeed end up together.
But alas :'(

message 12: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J Mel you are so right about the cover! And I too am perplexed about this Elizabeth Pierce !?! I would have loved Nix but I always thought that Furie was Lothaire's HEA. UGH! However, I do believe we will get some satisfying Nix/Lothaire action for other reasons. At least I'm hoping...

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Nope, Fury's HEA is (view spoiler). And I'm going to be stubborn and hope for some Lothaire/Nix action between the sheets... ;)

message 14: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J Mel wrote: "Nope, Fury's HEA is [spoilers removed]. And I'm going to be stubborn and hope for some Lothaire/Nix action between the sheets... ;)"

Oh :0/ I'm on the fence with Kristoff. I feel like he's been around long enough that I should love him or hate him.

And yeah, I hoping for some boom chick wah wah too!

message 15: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel LOL. Guess we're in the same boat. And I agree with you on Kristoff. We've seen him quite many times but I haven't yet figured out whether I like him or not.

message 16: by riN (new) - rated it 5 stars

riN yeah! what happened to Nix?!

message 17: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I think she'll end up with her CIA guy... :(

Lakeisha damnn it i wanted NIX!!!!! urggghhh i feel awful

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oh I know how you feel. I kept hoping until the very last moment. This book's blurb just crushed that hope right out of my heart. Booh!

Lakeisha :( my heart just jumped out wen i saw it sigh...i hope i can recover when i eventually read it....Elizabeth better be a kick-ass heroine lol

message 21: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I know! Exactly my thought. Although I'm pretty sure she can never match Nix. Nixie is one of a kind... *snif snif*
You want to be my designated reader? You could read Lothaire's book and tell me if it's any good and if Elizabeth is worthy of the coolness that is Lothaire?

Lakeisha lol lol...Sure! i can test drive it for you and let you know ;) but NO ONE can touch NUTS!!! love her originality.I thought she and Lothaire would have made beautiful "music" together haha Sucks that it takes so long to come out...NEXT YEAR!!!!...sigh that feel like 10 years :( :( *depressed*

message 23: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Lakeisha wrote: "NO ONE can touch NUTS!!! love her originality.I thought she and Lothaire would have made beautiful "music" together .."

Hear hear. How I still wish it were so.
Yes, next year is way too long.. :(

message 24: by Ilse (new) - added it

Ilse Snell Yeah! I never pictured Lothaire, the most awesome character ever, to look like that. What a shame. Such a shame.
And what the hell with the HUMAN bride! I mean, come on! Cole is super competent. I have full faith that she will be able to salvage this human-vamp combo.

message 25: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I have my fingers crossed. But I'm so bummed out about his HEA not being Nix, snif snif...

message 26: by Ilse (new) - added it

Ilse Snell Omg! Seriously! If that happens. If Nix ends up with an inferior human as well, I will slit my freaken wrists!! Gawd dammit!! This is just so anti climatic!! Why Cole? Wwwhhhhhhyyyyy!!!!!

message 27: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Uhm, well... tell your loved ones to keep you away from sharp objects. Because my guess is that Nix will end up with that CIA guy she has mentioned a few times over the course of the series.
I don't think that either Lothaire's bride nor Nix's guy will be inferior though. Judging by the blurb, Cole will probably pull another Holly Ashwin and turn Lothaire's bride into an immortal. I think the same will go for the CIA guy...

littledreamer Want Nix too!!

Brooklynn N. I thought Nix was going to be his mate, but i guess it makes sence that hes not. That scene on the beach? if she was really his mate, he probably would have jumped her XD. Anywhooo... cant wait to see how Kresley brings Lothaire`s story to us. :)

message 30: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I'm a bit apprehensive. I want to be excited about the book, but I just can't. I'm afraid I'm hating the non-Nix love interest by default... :(

Brooklynn N. Well, I really hadnt learned much about Lothair until one of the last books.... so I really didnt see anything, but I will admit, I have a thing for making up couples in my mind XD. Saw those two and I thought they were gunna get together, and the discussions on the book got me even more excited, but I guess its not to be. who knows, maybe you will like the new girl :) Just have to pick up the book (when it comes out) and read.

message 32: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel True. Who knows Cole will surprise me. :)

message 34: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith So, *evilly rekindling the discussion*, how about that cover? And Nix and Lothaire would have been such a good couple;-).
Still the book's out soon and you know you want to read it regardless. I do too. I think the human will turn immortal for sure. The only other option is Lothaire turning human, and that WOULD NOT do...

message 35: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Yeah, I'm sure they'll find a way to turn her immortal. Or maybe she has latent powers, like Cade's love interest.

Did you know the guy from this cover is the same guy as LAv's Rehvenge?

message 36: by Mimi (last edited Jan 07, 2012 06:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith For real? Huh, I would never have guessed it. Rehv looks much hotter on the cover. Must be the blond hair, and the expression of *cough* menace...

Yeah, I know she'll be turned immortal, considering every character we have met in these books is. To think of it, was there a mortal character(that actually spoke more than three words) anywhere?

Sense361 Probably she already is immortal. As I understood it the girl was adopted.

message 38: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Ah, there you go. Problem solved :)

message 39: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Yes, and we'll probably "meet" humans(her adopted parents) for the first time in the series!

message 40: by Shay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shay Mel, Its out... Not sure your gonna LOVE it, but it out!

Brooklynn N. LAv's Rehvenge?

wow, I just got notifications that someone continued this discussion.
I WANNA READ THIS BOOK!!!!
So, apparently people already know her -- from other books? I read them through (but not recently) and I dont remember something about her being mentioned.
And that Nix and Lothair thing, sure it would be so flipping awesome to see them together, but do you think that we should really put two immortals of their magnitude together? It should be stretched out man, but I would really like to see how they know each other so well.

message 42: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Brooklynn, I definitely would have liked to see them together. But I'm going to give the puny human chick a fair chance. *grin*

Shay, I know dear. I actually already own the ebook (hardcover? no way!). I'm going to finish a short story today but I'll start Lothaire tomorrow :)

message 43: by Shay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shay Mel wrote: "Brooklynn, I definitely would have liked to see them together. But I'm going to give the puny human chick a fair chance. *grin*

Shay, I know dear. I actually already own the ebook (hardcover? no w..."

The puny human is an OK girl, BTW :)

message 44: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I'll be the judge of that!

;)

message 45: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Brooklynn wrote: "LAv's Rehvenge?

wow, I just got notifications that someone continued this discussion.
I WANNA READ THIS BOOK!!!!

Yes, LAv's Rehv. Would never guess it, huh?

She wasn't mentioned before, we just get her know her. And we get to see everything about Nix and Lothaire... I loved their conversations...like...

Another exhalation, then he spoke his mind. “I feel . . . old.” He knew she could sympathize. When they’d been friends, he’d once confessed to her, “Phenïx, you are the only one who understands the truth: Eternal life alone is naught but an eternal punishment.”
“Lothaire, I’ve met dirt younger than we are.”

Mel, concerning Elle, just go light, yes? No drawing and quartering...

message 46: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Mimi dear, I shall try not to :)

Meredith Barrons Mel - I swear you will like it! I used to want nix with him as well but I totally get their relationship now after this book......

message 48: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oh I dearly hope so!

Brooklynn N. XD No spoilers! I havent even gotten a copy yet!

Brooklynn N. And when I said "LAv's Rehvenge? "
I meant I had no idea what(or who) that is XD
If its someone I do know, Im going to scream -- then die of emberrasment.

« previous 1