Kelly R's Reviews > Odd Thomas

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

May 19, 11

bookshelves: books-for-bethany-to-read, light-read, crime-and-mystery, fantasy-and-scifi
Read from May 14 to 15, 2011

Odd Thomas can see the dead. He sees those who have died but not yet moved on to the afterlife. Some of them come to him to find justice, many of them don't ever reveal why they have not yet moved on. They communicate with him sometimes, but they never talk. A strange man comes to town, followed by figures who seek out instances of terrible violence and cruel death. Odd tries to learn what horrors are going to happen so he can stop them. The premise is similar to that of The Sixth Sense; the main character is able to see dead people. However, the tone of the book is light and often very amusing. Odd communicates his story in present tense. He often describes physically and psychologically difficult situations, however he does not plague the reader with morose, disturbing content. Rather, he keeps the tone candid, honest, sincere, and "oddly" hopeful.

As I read, I was surprised and pleased by clever lines and witty sentiments. One of the supporting characters is reminiscent of the obligatory "wisdom dispenser" of Oscar Wilde's writings. I found myself stopping to write down a quote I found particularly interesting or clever quite often.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book!

What I got out of the book:
Everyone has a purpose. No matter how "odd" or how misunderstood: there is always a reason for life on earth.
Relationship; friendships, family love, romantic love, kindred spirits; Relationships are what make life worth living. The very fact that life is not permanent makes relationships all the more precious.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Odd Thomas.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob Bello Great review, thanks!