Pamela's Reviews > Driving with Dead People

Driving with Dead People by Monica Holloway

Feb 28, 2012

it was ok
Read in May, 2011

I would give this memoir 2.5 stars if I could. But with the plethora of good, thoughtful, emotive and cathartic memoirs out there (Liar's Club, The Glass Castle), I can't say I gained much from this book aside from an interesting story. The writing missed an ingredient that indicates introspection, compassion, even rage. For all the dysfunction (and I come from a highly dysfunctional background that might even eclipse this), I could never get behind this writer. She reported her story to us, rather than lived it with us. Her friendship with the Kilner family is not developed to the extent she hints at throughout the memoir. Generally there are uneven leaps backward and forward without interludes or reflections that provide the poetry necessary to elevate this from a sad tale of sub-par parenting.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Driving with Dead People.

06/08 marked as: read

Kerin I finished this sad tale and thought ....your point is ( directed at the author) I had hoped to see a glimmer of hope after a terrible childhood. Unlike Glass Castles where the writer goes onto find meaning in her life.

Pamela Yes, a very apt comparison to Glass Castles, Kerin. For memoir to resonate as such (rather than feeling like fiction, where story is everything and you have license to guide it), we have to connect with the journey that the narrator is going through. I just didn't feel that in this book.