Vicki's Reviews > A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace

May 27, 11

bookshelves: library-books, non-fiction, short-stories-essays
Read from May 19 to 27, 2011

DFW's writing is so good, and so fun to read, that he can take a topic I care very little / nothing about (say, tennis), a topic I know very little / nothing about (David Lynch's movies), or a topic I don't even think I'll understand (literary criticism of poststructural metacritics in re: the death of "the author") and draw me in right away and keep me engaged for 10, 30, 80 pages. Not only that, but I come away thinking, "maybe I should try to get tickets to the Open next year," or "I could queue up all the Lynch movies he talked about on Netflix, watch them, and reread this article, and I bet I'd get so much more out of both the movies and this article!"

The only essay in this collection that didn't ring my bell was E Unibus Pluram: Television and U.S. Fiction, because the article was written in 1990 and presented the (apparently novel) idea that Americans' addiction to television was changing the way we interact with each other, and coloring all other forms of art and entertainment, including fiction writing. It's not necessarily fair to say so, but reading this in 2011 just led to repeated mental shrugs and occasional mutterings of "no shit, Sherlock."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.