Barksdale Penick's Reviews > War in Val d'Orcia: An Italian War Diary, 1943-1944

War in Val d'Orcia by Iris Origo

U 50x66
May 19, 11

Read in May, 2011

I enjoyed this journal of a British woman married to an Italian in the countryside during WWII. The Facists are unforgivably evil, the Germans a sporadic mix of good and bad, and the populace downhearted but resilient. I am not sure what i expected, but I was surprised by how dominated the book is by the actual events of the war. There is little in the way of character development. At first, the war is far away, but come closer and closer and then rages right at their home. The pace of the book is fascinating and rings true, as events move slowly at first and then everything speeds up until the howitzers and troops are in the front yard. The family has to evacuate under fire and let the battle lines pass by from another village. This was an easy read, not asking much of the reader, but recounting the age old face of battle from the eyes of the civilians.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War in Val d'Orcia.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Trina (new)

Trina Great review! I found it so confusing to figure out WHICH troops? German? English? American? Italian? resistance? and that must be how it really was, during all that switching of sides. You will love La Foce -- or have you already been?

Barksdale Penick Hey Trina: it sure it satisfying having you as a friend on Goodreads--youa re so good about commenting on reviews. We can't wait for your visit!