Darlene's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Jun 12, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in March, 2011

This is the first book in The Twilight Saga. I think I am one of the few that has not seen the Twilight movies or read the books!

This book is a lot more tender – more innocent -- than I expected, but then again it was marketed to the Young Adult demographic so maybe that has something to do with it. It is filled with teen angst, and the star-crossed lovers have so much sexual tension that it is palpable.

Edward is very charming, and Belle is the typical damsel-in-distress. Even though I have not seen the movie, I have seen from magazines and newspapers the photos of the characters that play the roles in the movie which is unfortunate. I much prefer my own mental imagery. While reading, I couldn’t help but picture Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, although I have no idea what actors portrayed the other characters which was nice.

The book builds up slowly, and I enjoyed that because I became immersed into their characters.

Did you ever read a book with a smile on your face? Well, this book did that for me. I think the innocence of “first love” was portrayed very sweetly. It wasn’t until the last third of the book that it became suspenseful. I was totally captivated, and I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen next!

The ending was bittersweet, and I was sad to see the book end. I was happy to have the second book, New Moon, to start on right away!

I don’t normally read the same book over again, but I can see that this is one of the select few that I could read again and enjoy it just as much.

Because it is marketed to the Young Adults, I think a lot of adults wouldn’t think to pick it up for themselves which is a shame because it is so good.

I am a pretty tough critic and don’t hand out five-star ratings lightly (the only other one for adult literature being The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society).This book is very deserving of its 5-star rating!!

I enjoyed Ilyana Kadushin's narration. I hope she does the rest of the series.

MY RATING: 5 stars!! Loved it!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.