Mary's Reviews > Confessions at Midnight

Confessions at Midnight by Jacquie D'Alessandro

Mar 12, 08

Read in March, 2008

I've always enjoyed Jacquie d'Alessandro's books, which is why I was so excited to start reading Confessions at Midnight. A beautiful but lonely widow, a handsome and emotionally-aloof bachelor-for-life... what's not to love? Well, for me, it was this book; I didn't love it. It was a fast, enjoyable read, true, but it didn't pack much oomph.

The main characters were certainly sympathetic, and many of the secondary characters were personable, as well (my mouth stretched into a grin every time I read Samuel's endearing lines). And because of the characters and the real depth they could've had, I truly wanted more.

I found the storyline to be predictable, almost too formulaic. Several conflicts were wrapped up too neatly and too quickly. The scene by the lake, for instance (which forced Daniel to face his fear of abandonment, which in turn explained his fear of love) was presented and resolved in--I'm not kidding--three pages.

Three pages. Now do you understand?

The love scenes were undeniably hot and well-written, but they didn't make up for the lack of depth in the story itself. Too many times during the book did I think, "I wonder why she felt she had to crank this one out."

Okay, so I obviously didn't love this story. Will this stop me from buying more of her books? I doubt it, if only because she's hit the target more often than not. But with Confessions at Midnight, her aim was sadly off.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions at Midnight.