Andy's Reviews > Spider-Man: Sinister Six

Spider-Man by Stan Lee

May 19, 11

bookshelves: comics, spider-man
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Despite being a big Spider-Man fan I still have issues getting through some of the older stories with the corny writing, exposition and constant repetition. As such, this collection has sat on my shelves for a while. Having just read the Ultimate Six story it prompted me to go back to the original.

I've read the original Sinister Six story (from ASM Annual 1) which kicks this collection off. The plot is fairly obvious (together we can kill him) and routine with Spidey fighting the six one after the other with relative ease and no great drama. Ditko's pencils are always great but the writing is dated for the reasons mentioned above. Plus there are multiple cameos for no reason other than to try and sell their other respective titles (also note the entirely pompous and pointless Dr Strange cameo in the second collection).

The second Sinister Six tale is from the early 90s (though from the outfits there's more than a hint of 80s still hanging around). As someone else mentioned the plot in this is completely mental and there are loads of secondary plots thrown into the mix making this potentially confusing if you don't know some of the Spider-Man back story (Nathan Lubensky, MJs stalker). Plus as often seems the case in the earlier stories Peter can be a real arse and quite unpleasant an we have to contend with the older frail, ball of anxiety Aunt May who is semingly incapable of life.

I'm glad they are putting out the older collections and they're still nice books to have but it makes me appreciate Ultimate Spider-Man all the more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider-Man.