Anne's Reviews > Skinny Bitch in the Kitch: Kick-Ass Solutions for Hungry Girls Who Want to Stop Cooking Crap

Skinny Bitch in the Kitch by Rory Freedman

Feb 06, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: books-i-gave-up-on
Read in January, 2008

Torn.

Cheating a bit, since I haven't finished reading it yet, probably shouldn't rate it yet. It was a Christmas gift, and I'm not sure if I thanked my dad sincerely enough for it. Apparently it's a sequel/supplement to Skinny Bitch, a New York Times bestselling diet book written by a former model and former modeling agent--basically, it's a vegan weight-loss cookbook full of pithy commentary and snarkery.

Now, I loves me some pithy commentary and snarkery--and so far the recipes themselves do look very healthy. Can't tell if they're tasty or not without making a few, which I'll try. I guess my main problem with the book's premise is its slick, chick-lit assumption that as women our ultimate goal is to be pretty, and that pretty = thin. The pen-and-ink sketches are uniformly Barbie-shaped and, someone correct me if I'm wrong, white women; I am uncomfortable with it. Andrew demands royalties for his next comment, calling it veganism for the Sex in the City crowd. Sounds about right. It's all in the title, really, as if the whole point of cooking healthy food is to look beautiful. Nice mixed message.

Maybe I will change my mind when I make some of the recipes, and they magically turn me into Sarah Jessica Parker. Then, of course, I will call an exorcist.

6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinny Bitch in the Kitch.

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I don't know why anyone would want to turn into Sarah Jessica Parker - she looks emacitated. Curvier women like Kate Winslet and Salma Hayek are far more attractive.