G's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Jun 11, 11

it was ok
Read from May 20 to June 11, 2011 — I own a copy

Okay, so the reason why I say I like it is because I only really realized what was really going on in the end as it was unfolding naturally with the plot, and the end was pretty badass. It isn't exactly a cliffhanger, but it doesn't leave you with a sense of closure either. It's a pretty good end, better than I remember being the end of the PJO series.

However, I don't know how to say this- I don't think the author can write many different types of girls. With male characters, he seems to be able of writing a certain number of personalities, even though Jason and Percy have pretty much the same personality in my opinion. But then you have guys like Leo, guys like Luke, guys like Travis or, I don't know, Grover even. But when it comes to girls... While I can't complain about how Annabeth was built throughout the PJO series, I find absolutely nothing interesting about Piper.

Piper stroke me as an effort of the author to get a new Annabeth, except... not moved by quite the same motivations? I have no problems with Annabeth, but all Piper seemed to do on the chapters of her POV was to whine about how guilty she felt and how horrible her life was for A, B, C and D reasons. I couldn't care less about anything involving Piper.

Jason = Percy to me, but even then I like Percy better. Maybe it's because I'm used to Percy, having read five books from his point of view, but Jason not a complex enough character. It's hard to make points keeping it spoilerfree, so I'll just leave it that way.

I like Leo. I think he's the most well-built character, and the only one actually flawed, which keeps him interesting. He questions the attention Jason gets, he feels left out, like he's a loner who belongs nowhere, and with good reason to. He doesn't even need a love interest to help develop his character. In contrast with the other two protagonists, Piper and Jason, he really is the only one with flaws, but all the more power to him, honestly.

While I'm not particularly fond of the overall picture, I still think that Riordan has a talent for hinting at things in the just right amount, making you wonder but not finding out until he wants you to. There were very unnecessary things, like everything involving the character Drew, but I think the end makes up for these details.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the next one, but that's really because of the ending. The ending of this book = A+. The last line left me with a grin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.

05/20/2011 page 114
21.0% "There's this weird thing when it comes to Rick Riordan: I tend to fall in love with his characters almost instantly, but I dislike his writing most of the time. Oh, well."
05/24/2011 page 178
32.0% "I'm actually liking the writing of this book better than everything I've read from Riordan. I like how it seems slightly darker than what we got used from him by the PJO series. I'm really enjoying it."
show 2 hidden updates…