Anna's Reviews > Awake at Dawn

Dec 15, 2011

bookshelves: read-2011, ya
Read from October 22 to 26, 2011

Reviewed at http://bookstobrightenyourmood.blogsp...

Awake at Dawn, was an ok read, a book I more or less enjoyed,but my feelings toward it are nothing like my feelings for the first book, Born at Midnight, which I was totally ecstatic about!

First of all,Awake at Midnight took me an awfully lot time to finish.And that's never a good thing for me.It means that a book tires me a bit and doesn't really grab my interest.And both of those things happened with Awake at Dawn.It doesn't mean that a book is bad,it's just a personal thing.
Awake at Dawn picks up soon after the end of Born at Midnight and Kylie finds herself in a necessity to determine who she really is,not only for the sake of her, but also because lives ar at stake and only she can help.
Let me just say,that this book,felt more like a bridge to me, a bridge between the first book and the next one to come.Nothing major happens,but everything that does happen,are answers to some of the questions of the first book that will probably play a huge role in the book to come.So probably, I didn't enjoy Awake at Dawn as much as Born at Midnight because of that and the fact that a "bridge" is bound to be less enjoyable albeit crucial.

The other thing that tired me a bit,was Kylie herself...She was a bit whinny and although she had every reason to be,I was still a bit tired of listening to her.
The amazing romantic touch of Born at Midnight,was also absent here.I know I keep comparing those books,but it's inevitable for me, firstly because I loved so much the first book and secondly because they are books of the same series,so a comparison,is completely unavoidable.
Like I said, the romance was poor.In Born at Midnight,both Lucas and Derek are equally drool worthy, but in Awake at Dawn, Lucas is absent for the better part of the book, and all we have is Derek.And not that Derek is a bad guy,on the contrary,but I somehow felt that he was a bit forced on me.I got the feeling that I just had to like him when Lucas was away and so did Kylie.I still think of him as a perfectly good guy but without having done anything wrong,I just don't like him like before...I don't know if I make any sense...

Anyway, I may not have enjoyed Awake at Dawn as much as I expected,but I still liked it and needless to say I just can't wait for the next book to be published,where, hopefully, Lucas will have a more crucial role!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awake at Dawn.