Natalie's Reviews > My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business

My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business by Dick Van Dyke

May 19, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 19 to June 03, 2011

I always loved Dick van Dyke and now even more.

This book is an autobiography written by a humble, talented, humorous and sweet human being. Its honest, insightful and funny.

As so many entertainers/artists/actors, he was torn between his self-perception and his public image. Witch he desperately tried to live up to.

All trough the book you can feel the respect and love he and his fans shared, and his appreciation for it.

The anecdotes including Buster Keaton and Laurel and Hardy, show us that he was the first to be amazed and surprised at his own fame.

Dick van Dyke went through some highs and lows, witch are the most noticeable when he least writes about them. His honesty in admitting his addictions to alcohol and Cigarettes, and his losses make him even more likable.

The writing is light and pleasurable. But sometimes it felt to me as if some of the ideas for this book had been in the back of his head for a very long time. And others just emerged. (In regard of the writing style, and depth of remembrance)

Al together a great read for fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business.

03/18/2016 marked as: read