Monica's Reviews > Middlesex

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

F 50x66
Mar 03, 2008

Read in March, 2008

Wow! What an incredible novel. Middlesex is written as a narrative/autobiography (although it is fictional) of a male-raised-female hermaphrodite. Callie, now known as Cal, tells of his family history dating back to 1920's Turkey and explains how he came to be born the way he was. The shocking story of his grandparent's marriage, his parents courtship and marriage, and the trials of his childhhod and adolescence, as well as adulthood is all covered.

This is a well researched and thought out book that goes into great detail to tell the story. If you don't appriciate detail, or the slow telling of a story, this book may be too long for you. But if you have patience, this is well worth your time. This book is funny, touching and very smartly written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middlesex.

Jennifer I originally snubbed my nose at this book and it's topic, but you are the second person I've talk to who has enjoyed it. So...I've added it to my list of books to read.

Monica I hope you like it. According to some of the other reviews I've read, it's a true story. I was under the impression it was fiction, so I guess I was wrong about that.