mark monday's Reviews > Bad Ronald

Bad Ronald by Jack Vance

131922
Oct 03, 12

bookshelves: murdertime, buried-treasure, z-jack-vance

poor Ronald! an introvert, a dreamer, a lonely soul who creates his own intricately detailed fantasy world of wizards and adventure. what's a boy to do when he is left to his own devices, with no mother to take care of him, just a big old house that no longer even belongs to him. well, maybe just keep within the walls of the house, in that secret room, right? surely no one will notice! certainly not the family of four who innocently move into the house, naively thinking themselves its sole residents. little do they know... poor, creepy Ronald is watching their every move through the walls. shudder! maybe Ronald is in your house right now, watching YOU. say his name out loud three times in a mirror and see what happens!

Jack Vance is best known as one of the most elegant and individualistic writers of classic science fiction and fantasy. he is a true original and one of my favorite authors. and apparently, he had a profitable little sideline in MURDER! i'm not too familiar with his tales of murderous mysteries, mainly because they are fucking expensive beyond belief. i don't know how i even got a hold of this one. i should probably sell it, and make millions.

the writing is bone dry, which is typical for Vance. he does not sympathize with Ronald. he does not demonize Ronald either. Vance's portrait of a deranged, murderous teen outsider is dry, sly, a little evil, a lot cold-blooded. this is Vance in his stripped-down, streamlined mode, so no lush description. but lots and lots of skin-crawling, psychological ick. if you are able to find this one, prepare to read a story of murder and rape (molestation actually, ugh) that is creepy beyond belief but written in the style of an ironic and deadly little fairy tale for adults. at times i was reminded of the equally perverted tale of deranged kids, Banks' The Wasp Factory. both books have a lot of palpable tension and eerie weirdness mixed in with all of the darkly comic bits. but Bad Ronald also has two smart young ladies who know how to figure things out and then take care of business, hooray!

the character of Bad Ronald is at times grossly whiny and self-pitying, and therefore incredibly aggravating. sometimes when i add a book to GoodReads, i write a little placeholder, some sentences to remind me of my initial reaction. here's what i first wrote, who knows when:
i bet his face is just really... punchable. especially when he twists it up into that cringing, "boo hoo hoo poor me" expression that he loves so much. it is like he is secretly begging you to plant one on him, if only to get him to stop whinging & cringing.
my gosh, how unsympathetic. perhaps i am just as lacking in empathy and affect as Bad Ronald! apropos of nothing, i have to mention that that italicized bit was also my description of Justin Long, written somewhere else. i cannibalized myself in my own placeholder, huh. and on that note:

Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Ronald.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paquita Maria (new)

Paquita Maria Sanchez Actually, this sounds pretty interesting until you look on amazon and realize it really is worth 2 or 3 hundred dollars. Who am I kidding? I'm never going to read this thing.

mark monday i know right? it's absurd. i wish more folks could read this one!

message 3: by Veeral (new)

Veeral Good review, Mark. The plot does sound creepy. And talking about creepy, I watched [REC] yesterday and boy, the last few minutes were sure filled with some tension.

And about that millions, if you happen to find this book lying in some forgotten chest somewhere, do let me know.

mark monday Bird Brian wrote: "Was the "Home Alone" movie based on this book? I mean, it sounds a little different, but Hollywood usually ruins everything it touches."

i highly, highly, highly doubt it. Bad Ronald is an evil perv! Macauley Culkin is... well, some bad things i'm sure, but probably not that.

mark monday Veeral wrote: "Good review, Mark. The plot does sound creepy. And talking about creepy, I watched [REC] yesterday and boy, the last few minutes were sure filled with some tension.

And about that millions, if you..."

oh i have plenty of copies of Action Comics #1 around the house! i actually use it to decorate my bathroom. la-di-da.

message 6: by Veeral (new)

Veeral mark wrote: "i keep meaning to watch REC. i've only watched what i assume to be the inferior hollywood remake, Quarantine. hey is REC 2 as good as the first one? "

I haven't watched REC 2 yet. But yes, REC is better than Quarantine.

And mail me one copy of Action Comics #1 and don't ever tell anybody that you have got lots more.

mark monday i'm sending it right over! feel free to sell it of course. but i recommend using it to make colorful origami play toys for cats and children.

message 8: by David Sven (new)

David Sven Rec is definitely better than Quarantine and Rec 2 is better again

message 9: by Nona (new)

Nona Bird Brian wrote: "Was the "Home Alone" movie based on this book? I mean, it sounds a little different, but Hollywood usually ruins everything it touches."

Actually it was made into a movie of the same name in the seventies that has something of a favorable cult reputation among certain horror fans. I didn't even know it was a book until I was browsing through Mark's reviews, much less one written by Jack Vance!

message 10: by mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

mark monday did not know this. i will have to search it out. well i have gotten several great tips from you tonight, thanks!

Ashley I just read & reviewed this and mentioned you in the review lol
Thanks again for introducing me to this book

message 12: by mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

mark monday Ashley I am really stoked that you read this based on my review. it is a hard to find book so great job tracking it down. I would never have thought that iTunes had this one.