Katrina's Reviews > Captivated

Captivated by Deb Apodaca

May 19, 11

Read from May 18 to 19, 2011

Mindy Keenan starts a new school year, realizing that life must go on without Dean Aiken in it. Since the death of his parents Dean is not the same person Mindy use to know, she decides to move on.

A new student has enrolled in her year; he is hot, mysterious, charming and very straight forward. Something about him draws Mindy in, she just can’t put her finger on it, something slightly off, but also she feels captivated by him, the way he looks at her, all she knows is that now she sees more of Dean and he obviously doesn’t like Shane. A mystery in itself.

Markus, Mindy’s best friend witnesses Dean Kill two people one night outside the nightclub they were clubbing at. Markus is drawn into mysterious events, the disappearance of the bodies in front of him, and the possibility of Dean being a murderer. He searches to unfold mysteries he never thought possible and decides to take things into his own hands, and play Mr. Detective. Even though everything glows stop and red neon lights, Markus is determined to find out the truth.

Markus is determined to find out, what going on - he sneaks around in the shadows following Dean, and reveals more than he ever bargained for. Now his aim is to keep his secrets and keep Mindy safe. In the meantime, Dean and Mindy have rekindled a bond, Mindy sneaking out secretively to meet Dean and the love begins to blossom all over again. But is Dean able to keep Mindy safe from the creatures of the night – The boogey man. Dean insists that Mindy leave at nightfall every night, and Mindy starts to make her own assumptions, causing a rift between them and Dean decides it’s too dangerous for them to be together and once again pushes her away. Mindy determined and heartbroken wants to show Dean she loves him, and she is unable to just let him go. But will their friendship and love cost them more than they ever bargained for?

My Thoughts....

Wow!! I want me some piece of that action!!!

For starters – I think I am in love with a fictional character!! I know Bad! loll.. *blushes *

Dean – swoon ** heart palpitations * is buff, gorgeous, wash abs, muscles and geesh! I think I am in love!! I must say that the writer has created a god for us to worship over in this novel. I found myself working and dreaming of him – Holding that big sword – those big muscles flexing!! ** grabs wet cloth!! So you get it!! Dean was hot, irresistible not only to me but Mindy! Lol. His character came across hard, and careless, bold and yet kickarse, but in time you see the soft side to him. This man is a man of many colours if you may call it that. But certainly a creature for us to all wander about.

Mindy was your average girl, pretty, confident in her own ways, a tad withdrawn, but also her own person. Her personality the absolute opposite of Dean, but saying that their magnetic connection was defiantly sending sparks throughout this read. Love lies in the eye of the beholder.

I really enjoyed the Characters that D Apodaca created. Not flawless, but personalities of their own, for us the reader to enjoy and envisage. Descriptions, well outlined, and the reader able to picture whilst reading, to give a great insight into the story. I am a visual reader and love to be able to envisage whilst reading and Apodaca skillfully created this...

For starters , Initially I did find the first few chapters a tad slow paced, wandered when the action was going to start, but don’t be deterred by this, she is just getting us warmed up. So, start the engine let it idle for two chapters then you take off on a trip throughout these pages I’m sure that you won’t forget. After this, it’s steadily paced, throughout, enough to keep you in suspense, intrigued and also fascinated with the storyline. You will be wandering what’s happening- who where and why!! But it will also have you contemplating …. ** Scratching your head to work out who is, what and what’s going to happen. Believe me you will be surprised!

Dialogue flowed smoothly, and chapters fluently flowing from one until the next, and I must say a climax that will not only have you gasping ** but have you in turmoil as to where its headed.** I’m sure you will be grabbing that arm rest, and anticipating and thinking ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooo what comes next ! A cliff hanger that will defiantly leave you clutching at your reader- book and searching for what’s next to come to find out, it’s the end!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed all the secondary characters, had myself in giggles at Markus and his macho man antics towards the end, but his loyalty was rewarding and refreshing. I’m sure he is a character you will also enjoy. Shane will have you baffled, his spunk but also secrets will leave you unsure, and as to what to think of him, till the very end and I’m sure you’ll wish you had that broomstick or bottle of Mt Franklin pure water!!! All villains were portrayed well, and we all hate them, and this was well achieved.

Idea behind the story line was unique, different, and the ending was definitely unpredictable. Not something you would suspect or ever wish for... I found myself at work, telling a fellow reader friend!! Oh no!!! She just did this to them!!! geesh !!!! I read my last pages in my 15 minute break at work, then dwelled and now eagerly anticipating the next book... This book will leave you thinking about it way past the last pages. ** Ill dream of Deannneee ** lol.. Sorry had to say that part lol.

An intriguing world created by D Apodaca, I’m sure that will leave you breathless, eager and frantically flipping right till the very end. Fantastic character development, characters you will fall in love with, hate and also wish more for... and an ending –a dead halt and think NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

4 1/2 stars A MUST READ !!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captivated.

05/18/2011 "Where do I get myself a dean - hotty like this one ;) loving his broody character yet his hotness phew !!!!"