Lisa's Reviews > The Shadow Rising

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from May 25 to June 10, 2012, read count: 1

I spent a few minutes trying to decide how to rate this, and then decided that 3.5 stars were probably the closest bet.

I like the Wheel of Time series a lot, and I think it is far superior to the other major (10+ book) fantasy series I've read (Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth). It's very probable that the reason I'm taking so long to get through the Wheel of Time simply because I'm not as into the fantasy genre now as I was when I picked up Goodkind's books.

I quite like The Shadow Rising, and I would have easily finished it sooner if I hadn't been snowed under by university assignments. But at the same time, it's tampered by one big thing.

I don't know what the objective of this series is. In Lord of the Rings, the objective is to destroy the Ring, and we have a clear path plotted for readers to follow. Yes, in the Wheel of Time, the ultimate ending will be Rand versus the Dark One (again), but in the mean time, I feel as though I don't know where we're going.

The Shadow Rising also suffers from middle-book syndrome (mid-series syndrome?) and lacks a resolution. Stuff happens and stuff is resolved, but it doesn't feel especially pivotal to the series. To me, this book would be the equivalent of Tolkien dedicating 1,000 pages to the Paths of the Dead and shoved the Scouring of the Shire in The Two Towers. (Have I ever mentioned how much I love Tolkien's Middle-Earth?)

But I digress. I'll keep reading the Wheel of Time series, and I'll probably continue to enjoy it. I just hope I won't end the series wondering what it was all for.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Rising.

05/26/2012 page 103
10.0% "The opening paragraph is very Galadriel-ish."
06/02/2012 page 286
28.0% "Why is it that I could whip through the horrid Sword of Truth series in about a month and the (very) superior Wheel of Time is taking so long?"
show 7 hidden updates…