Nathan Trachta's Reviews > The Maltese Falcon

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

2079440
May 29, 11

Read in May, 2011

An old favorite movie of mine has been the Maltese Falcon. What’s not to love, suspense, drama, good acting? When II was recently reading on Wikipedia I ran into Dashiell Hammett’s biography. While reading about Mr. Hammett I got reminded about the Black Bird and decided it was time to read it.

This is considered one of the classics of hardboiled detective novels and its evident why when reading it. The general plot is simple but there are nice little twists that complicate things. Some twists are from learning more about the characters, others from Samuel Spad unfolding the story of the Black Bird and his contributions to the Black Bird’s legacy. Each character is interesting and intriguing. If there’s a stronger suite to Mr. Hammett’s writing in the Maltese Falcon it’s his description of the different characters. While none of the characters are surprising, their descriptions fit the moment. Merging Mr. Hammett’s character development with a story that’s between adventure and drama makes this one a classic. Rating wise this is a solid 4.5 star book that I’m rounding down to 4 stars only because the style missed a little with me. Btw, for those that are interested, read the book and then watch the movie; a great combination.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maltese Falcon.